Old December 3rd 03, 04:16 AM
JJ

Ed G. wrote:

Hhhmmm, thought this group was rec.radio.amateur.equipment?
The FT-847 is amateur equiptment.
:-)

It is. "All about production amateur radio hardware" according to
newsgroup archive info. I believe the FAQ does state this, but the FAQ
for this newsgroup seems to be "mis-placed" on the official FAQ FTP site
at the moment. Bottom line... discussion, not FOR SALE postings. The
rec.radio.swap newgroup is for that, and it rediculously redundant to
post for sale items on any, or all, of the other amateur radio discussion
newsgroups.

Ed WB6SAT

Ebay sellers are responsible for the ruin of a lot of newsgroups. They
don't care about abiding by any FAQs or Charters, they just want to try
to dig another buck out of their auction.

Old December 3rd 03, 04:18 AM
JJ

Ham wrote:

As long as posters uses the requested FA or FA: for auctions and FS or
FS: and doesn't try to hide FA or FS items with a deceptive title, you
can use a filter and never see them.

If you do this on the boatanchors group, which used to have lots of good
discussion about boatanchors, you will see very few posts as most now
are ebay ads. Thanks to the ebay croed the group is no longer used for
it's intended purpose.

Old December 3rd 03, 09:16 PM
Mike Coslo

Mark Russo wrote:
Hhhmmm, thought this group was rec.radio.amateur.equipment?
The FT-847 is amateur equiptment.
:-)

Yup, and in r.r.swap it will find a better audience! Personally, I don't
care as long as the poster puts an FA in the message so I can filter the
message, but this really isn't the group.

- Mike -

Old December 3rd 03, 09:23 PM
Mike Coslo

JJ wrote:

Ebay sellers are responsible for the ruin of a lot of newsgroups. They
don't care about abiding by any FAQs or Charters, they just want to try
to dig another buck out of their auction.

Just one more reason why I hate Peebay with a passion. The hard core
sellers with their self righteous attitude are just another form of spam.

- Mike -

Old December 3rd 03, 09:35 PM
Ghost writer

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
JJ wrote:

Ebay sellers are responsible for the ruin of a lot of newsgroups. They
don't care about abiding by any FAQs or Charters, they just want to try
to dig another buck out of their auction.

Just one more reason why I hate Peebay with a passion. The hard core
sellers with their self righteous attitude are just another form of spam.

- Mike -

Though I agree in part that E-bay and private ads shouldn't be in "this"
type of news group, I'd much rather see them listed so long as they have
FA/FS, etc as a header than ads for sexual drugs, devices, porn, etc. At
least the radio gear IS on topic. I've put ads here in the past myself for
parts I felt some may be interested in. Some which were for older gear. I
too have seen some interesting ads in here which caught my eye. As any and
all have the option to do, I CAN SKIP THEM if not interested. Just my 2
cents. G.W.

Old December 3rd 03, 10:22 PM
JJ

Ghost writer wrote:

Though I agree in part that E-bay and private ads shouldn't be in "this"
type of news group, I'd much rather see them listed so long as they have
FA/FS, etc as a header than ads for sexual drugs, devices, porn, etc. At
least the radio gear IS on topic. I've put ads here in the past myself for
parts I felt some may be interested in. Some which were for older gear. I
too have seen some interesting ads in here which caught my eye. As any and
all have the option to do, I CAN SKIP THEM if not interested. Just my 2
cents. G.W.

What happens is others see the FA and FS ads and assume it must be OK to
post such, do so, and the group tends to become more of a place for ebay
sellers to hawk their wares than a discussion group. That is what
happened to the boatanchor group, very little discussion about
boatanchors there anymore because the ebay jokers insist on using it to
hawk their ebay ads instead of placing those ads in one of the .swap
groups where they belong. Now anyone who wishes to discuss boatanchors
does not bother with the group because they know it is full of ebayers
trying to get another buck for their junk on ebay. So if you go to the
boatanchors group and skip the FA/FS ads, there isn't anything left
thanks to those who choose exercise their 'rights' and ignore FAQ's and
Charters.