Old November 6th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Help: Pin info ERC Oven Crystal

Hello and thanks for the read. I have an ERC (Electronic Research Co.)
Oven-Crystal in an 8 pin octal base can.
Does anyone have a lead to a site where I could find which pins are for the
115VAC heater, +V and it's ground and at what voltage range to make the 1
MHz crystal oscillate and which pin for it's output.
I am trying to adapt this unit to fit inside a Motorola R-1201A signal
generator that is missing the original Xtal unit.
Thanks for any help.
Larry McGee

Old November 8th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article
,
"Larry McGee" wrote:

Hello and thanks for the read. I have an ERC (Electronic Research Co.)
Oven-Crystal in an 8 pin octal base can.
Does anyone have a lead to a site where I could find which pins are for the
115VAC heater, +V and it's ground and at what voltage range to make the 1
MHz crystal oscillate and which pin for it's output.
I am trying to adapt this unit to fit inside a Motorola R-1201A signal
generator that is missing the original Xtal unit.

Larry-

If your ERC is complex, with an electronically regulated oven and/or a
crystal oscillator circuit, you will definitely need some factory data
to use it. If you know where it came from, perhaps that equipment will
have a circuit diagram to show how it is hooked up.

I went through my collection and found three old octal-base ovens, but
none were ERC.

It was possible to remove the outer cover of each. One was potted so
thoroughly that it was not possible to see the wiring to the octal base,
but the other two were easy to see. Wiring to each was slightly
different, so I'd hesitate to recommend one.

If yours has a simple thermostat and heating element, you may be able to
find two pins that are close to zero Ohms. These would be the
thermostat contacts. Between these and one other pin would be the
heating element, in the order of several hundred or a couple thousand
Ohms. You would have to devise an experiment to determine which of the
thermostat leads is common to the heating element.

If yours is just a crystal oven, not an oscillator, then the crystal
should oscillate in whatever circuit you use. You can rig-up a simple
crystal test oscillator, and test various combinations of the octal plug
connections to find which are the two crystal leads.

None of mine had a connection to the metal case, but yours might.

Fred
K4DII

Help: Pin info ERC Oven Crystal Larry McGee Boatanchors 2 November 7th 08 11:30 AM
FA: HC6/U Crystal Oven W8KZW Swap 0 April 10th 04 04:23 AM
FA: HC6/U Crystal Oven W8KZW Swap 0 March 29th 04 01:04 AM
Crystal Oven Pinout Hans Summers Homebrew 0 November 17th 03 02:57 PM
Crystal Oven Pinout Hans Summers Homebrew 0 November 17th 03 02:57 PM