Old November 12th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default good radio for sat com

I'm looking at a radio for satellite communications work.

Has anyone used the Yaesu VX-8R for talking over satellites. How about
the Kenwood TH-D7A.

Thanks for any insight into these radios.

-brad w.
Old November 13th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote in message
I'm looking at a radio for satellite communications work.

Has anyone used the Yaesu VX-8R for talking over satellites. How about
the Kenwood TH-D7A.

Thanks for any insight into these radios.

-brad w.

Brad,

The TH-D7A would be the better choice. It's capable of transmitting and
receiving simultaneously on 2m and 70cm. That allows you to hear you own
signal coming down from the satellite. It forces you to wear a headset to
prevent feedback, but you'll soon appreciate receiving while transmitting to
make uplink Doppler frequency corrections to keep you full quieting into the
birds.

TH-D7As are hard to come by since Kenwood discontinued them. They are
available overseas, but very pricey.

73 es GL

Glenn AA5PK