Old March 3rd 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Peak-to-peak voltage for mic input?

I've made a digital modem and am trying to figure out how much I need
to reduce the modem's audio output before piping the signal into an IC-
V8. I want to make sure the voltage is high enough to RX well, but
not so high that the signal is clipped of the IC-V8 is damaged.
Anyone know what the typical peak-to-peak voltage is for a standard
mic input?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Dave
Old March 3rd 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

dave.harper wrote:
I've made a digital modem and am trying to figure out how much I need
to reduce the modem's audio output before piping the signal into an IC-
V8. I want to make sure the voltage is high enough to RX well, but
not so high that the signal is clipped of the IC-V8 is damaged.
Anyone know what the typical peak-to-peak voltage is for a standard
mic input?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Assuming that the modem has an adjustable output , I would suggest you
hook it up to the radio and ,starting at zero input ,see at what mike
input level you get an output by listening to a receiver.
If the radio has its own mike being an electret type (possibly with an
additional built-in pre-amplifier) the mike input signal will highly
likely be in the 50 - 300 mV range .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH