Old April 1st 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Spectrum Scopes

My current HF rig is a Kenwood TS-570S. I'm very satisfied with it, but I
have an itch for a spectrum scope. I would like to hear comments from users
of spectrum scopes, and recommendations for rigs with spectum scopes. I
don't need the ultimate power-user DX rig, but I am willing to pay a premium
for the scope feature.

Bob ND9B

Old April 1st 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I use an Icom Pro III. I didn't try to compare any of the rigs with "band
scopes"
but having used real spectrum analyzers I was a bit disappointed that the
band
width (resoloution) was fixed, you could change the range of frequencies the
sweep
would span but there was also no way to change the sweep rate. To check
any kind
of close signals the indicator is worthless. It is also worthless to check
the
band spread of a signal. but then you have to pay big bucks for a real
analyzer. It does show the abusers who tune up and dial across the whole
ham band back and forth. Usually the over power limit hams with too much
money for amps and not enough courtesy to be worth working..

IMHO///
I cant say for sure, but I would guess this would be a common short coming
of
all the "band scopes" cost being the factor for doing every thing a real
analyzer does,
They simply don't have the design to see what is shown for example
transmitters with
a spurious signal close to the desired frequency. That is the picture that
is often show
on spec' sheets.

Google arrl spectrum analyzer display and wander around to view
any display
examples and most will not be the same as the band scope displays

Good luck

K4TWO Gary 73

Old April 1st 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Mr Fed UP wrote in :
[...]

I thought about the problem myself a year or so ago, and spent $400
(more or less) on an SDR-IP Software-Defined Receiver from RFSpace
Inc. It makes a rather nice bandscope and spectrum analyzer, though
I'm limited to 190 KHz max bandwidth. It is nice to be able to see,
say, all the CW portion of 80m or 40m or 17m or whatnot at a time

Not a bad RX in other repects, too.

--
Objective-C++: Trying to find out exactly how many wrongs _do_ make
a right -- David Richerby
Old April 1st 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Mr Fed UP wrote in :
[...]

(more or less) on an SDR-IQ Software-Defined Receiver from RFSpace

Old April 2nd 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Bob D." wrote in message
My current HF rig is a Kenwood TS-570S. I'm very satisfied with it, but I
have an itch for a spectrum scope. I would like to hear comments from
users
of spectrum scopes, and recommendations for rigs with spectum scopes. I
don't need the ultimate power-user DX rig, but I am willing to pay a
premium
for the scope feature.

Bob ND9B

Hi Bob,
The newer 7800, 7700 and 7600 have variable sweep rates and much better RBW-
100Hz on the 7600 I recall.

The best solution is to buy the SDR-IQ and the IF-2000 board and tap off
before the PRO NB

Dale W4OP

Old April 2nd 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dale Parfitt wrote:
"Bob D." wrote in message
My current HF rig is a Kenwood TS-570S. I'm very satisfied with it, but I
have an itch for a spectrum scope. I would like to hear comments from
users
of spectrum scopes, and recommendations for rigs with spectum scopes. I
don't need the ultimate power-user DX rig, but I am willing to pay a
premium
for the scope feature.

Bob ND9B

Hi Bob,
The newer 7800, 7700 and 7600 have variable sweep rates and much better RBW-
100Hz on the 7600 I recall.

The best solution is to buy the SDR-IQ and the IF-2000 board and tap off
before the PRO NB

The band scope is a pretty cool addition within it's limitations. It
certainly isn't a spectrum analyzer, but then that isn't what it is
designed for. They are handy for seeing activity mostly. The IC-756 III
is a really nice one. The top end rigs with scopes have some more
features, but what a price tag.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

FS: Scopes [email protected] Equipment 0 September 13th 05 07:53 PM
FS:Scopes Joe Boatanchors 0 January 28th 05 05:14 PM
Manswl Scopes Winston Equipment 0 February 15th 04 01:40 AM
Manswl Scopes Winston Equipment 0 February 15th 04 01:40 AM
FS O-Scopes JOE PARISELLA Swap 1 July 23rd 03 04:07 AM