Old March 15th 04, 11:48 AM
Richard J Kinch

Everything is worth fixing if it can be done without excessive cost or
time.

Right. My advice is, it won't be worth it. The new units perform much
better, and the additional life to be expected from a repair to this old
unit don't justify the effort, even if it initially succeeds.

Old March 15th 04, 01:31 PM
James Nipper

None of these replies have answered my question about the voltage being on
both wires at the same time. I would think it would be impossible for
the motor to turn with voltage on both windings (clockwise and CC) AT THE
SAME TIME.

This just doesn't seem normal to me, and I am not sure if the capacitor
would cause this.

--James--

Old March 15th 04, 06:55 PM
Ken Fowler

On 15-Mar-2004, "James Nipper" wrote:

None of these replies have answered my question about the voltage being on
both wires at the same time. I would think it would be impossible for
the motor to turn with voltage on both windings (clockwise and CC) AT THE
SAME TIME.

AC voltage on both wires would be normal for an AC two-phase motor. One wire is fed directly with
AC, the other is fed through a capacitor. The capacitor causes a phase shift which determines the
direction of rotation. Your voltmeter will not detect that the two voltages have a phase
difference. If the capacitor is shorted, the two voltages will be in phase and the motor may not
rotate.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO

Old March 15th 04, 07:50 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:31:34 -0500, James Nipper hath writ:

None of these replies have answered my question about the voltage being on
both wires at the same time. I would think it would be impossible for
the motor to turn with voltage on both windings (clockwise and CC) AT THE
SAME TIME.

I think you are seeing the "return" voltage of the other, not-energised
winding of the motor. The motor, after all, would be acting like a
transformer -- with the "energised" side of the motor being the primary
winding, and the "un-energised" side of the motor being the secondary.

It's just an inefficient auto-transfomer when measured that-a-way.

73
Jonesy
Old March 15th 04, 07:50 PM
Allodoxaphobia

Old March 16th 04, 12:27 AM
James Nipper

Thanks for these additional comments! Very interesting, I learn something
new every day.

--James--

Old March 16th 04, 12:27 AM
James Nipper

Thanks for these additional comments! Very interesting, I learn something
new every day.

--James--

Help newbie with Channel Master 9512 Rotor - homebrew controller ? K. Hastings Antenna 15 July 8th 04 01:11 AM
Help newbie with Channel Master 9512 Rotor - homebrew controller ? K. Hastings Antenna 0 June 25th 04 11:59 AM
Channel master 9521 Uwe Antenna 0 June 6th 04 04:50 AM
Channel Master choices John Antenna 0 May 4th 04 12:44 AM