Old March 14th 04, 11:53 PM
James Nipper

Default Channel Master Rotor Malfunction ????

I have a small antenna Rotor, ChannelMaster, that has developed a problem.
The antenna will not turn in either direction. The control box
**pointer** moves around like it is working, but the antenna does not
rotate. I have checked the wires for breaks, etc, and have climbed the tower
to make sure the wires are still connected to the rotor. I have also
checked for binding, and find no problems.

I have checked for voltage at the output of the control box. I get about
40 volts from the common lead to one of the other 2 wires. But,
surprisingly, I also get about 25 volts from the common wire to the other
of the 2 wires, but all the while the rotor control is going in the same
direction !

I would have thought that I should get 40 volts from common to just one of
the other 2 wires (same clockwise) and no voltage from common to the
**other** wire until I changed directions.

So, without buying a new rotor, etc, I would like to see if I can isolate
and maybe fix the problem.

Any ideas on this one, especially comments on whether the voltage tests seem
normal ??

Thanks for any help !!

--James--

Old March 15th 04, 02:55 AM
Ralph Mowery

"James Nipper" wrote in message

I have a small antenna Rotor, ChannelMaster, that has developed a problem.
The antenna will not turn in either direction. The control box
**pointer** moves around like it is working, but the antenna does not
rotate. I have checked the wires for breaks, etc, and have climbed the

tower
to make sure the wires are still connected to the rotor. I have also
checked for binding, and find no problems.

Try a new capacitor. If you can not locate a replacemnet try connecting the
negative leads of two electrolytic capacitors together and connect the
positive leads to where the old capacitor is . Use double the value of MMF
of the old capacitor and a voltage rating equal or greater than the old one.

Old March 15th 04, 04:29 AM
James Nipper

Thank you, I will try to find one. Would a bad capacitor cause the voltage
to flow on BOTH lines at the same time (clockwise and CC) ?????

--James--

Old March 15th 04, 04:29 AM
James Nipper

Old March 15th 04, 05:40 AM
Richard J Kinch

James Nipper writes:

I have a small antenna Rotor, ChannelMaster, that has developed a
problem.

Not worth fixing. Replace it with a new digital unit.
Old March 15th 04, 05:40 AM
Richard J Kinch

Old March 15th 04, 08:03 AM

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:40:20 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

James Nipper writes:

I have a small antenna Rotor, ChannelMaster, that has developed a
problem.

Not worth fixing. Replace it with a new digital unit.

Everything is worth fixing if it can be done without excessive cost or
time. If the motor is dead, then junk it, till them try simple fixes.
Yes, 25 to 40 volts is about right for these things.

Old March 15th 04, 11:48 AM
Richard J Kinch

Everything is worth fixing if it can be done without excessive cost or
time.

Right. My advice is, it won't be worth it. The new units perform much
better, and the additional life to be expected from a repair to this old
unit don't justify the effort, even if it initially succeeds.

Help newbie with Channel Master 9512 Rotor - homebrew controller ? K. Hastings Antenna 15 July 8th 04 01:11 AM
Help newbie with Channel Master 9512 Rotor - homebrew controller ? K. Hastings Antenna 0 June 25th 04 11:59 AM
Channel master 9521 Uwe Antenna 0 June 6th 04 04:50 AM
Channel Master choices John Antenna 0 May 4th 04 12:44 AM