Old May 31st 10, 12:53 PM
Junior Member

Location: Atlanta, Ga
Default Kenwood TS-820s cw problem

I just bought a used ts-820 which had been completely reconditioned and has all new tubes. It works great in SSB but when I insert the CW key and put the Mode sw in CW, I get a constant tone that none of the dials on the front seem to effect. When I remove the jack, the tone goes away. Any suggestions?
Old May 31st 10, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mon, 31 May 2010, HeyReub wrote:

I just bought a used ts-820 which had been completely reconditioned and
has all new tubes. It works great in SSB but when I insert the CW key
and put the Mode sw in CW, I get a constant tone that none of the dials
on the front seem to effect. When I remove the jack, the tone goes
away. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the key? Some have a lever that allows for closing
the contacts on a continuous basis, such as when tuning up. See if there
is, and that it's not closed.

Or, it may be a short at the plug.

Michael VE2BVW
Old May 31st 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Michael Black wrote in e.net:
On Mon, 31 May 2010, HeyReub wrote:

I just bought a used ts-820 which had been completely reconditioned and
has all new tubes. It works great in SSB but when I insert the CW key
and put the Mode sw in CW, I get a constant tone that none of the dials
on the front seem to effect. When I remove the jack, the tone goes
away. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the key? Some have a lever that allows for closing
the contacts on a continuous basis, such as when tuning up. See if there
is, and that it's not closed.

Or, it may be a short at the plug.

Or it may be a 2-conductor plug on a radio which requires a 3-conductor
plug. I know my Yaesu FT-857D, FT-897D, and FT-920 require 3-conductor
plugs, and if I insert a 2-conductor plug, it will put the radio into
transmit RIGHT THEN.

Check the manual and the plug type first. If the plug type is OK, then
ohm out the plug. If it's not shorted and it's the right type, then
something interesting is going on.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old June 1st 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article , mikea
wrote:

Or it may be a 2-conductor plug on a radio which requires a 3-conductor
plug.

Mike-

I think you have it. I found the service manual at mods.dk. It shows a
two-circuit key jack with additional circuits switched when the key is
plugged in. I didn't get the operator manual, but it probably has more
information about keying.

When the TS-820 came out, it was a top-of-the-line rig, so it may very
well have a built-in keyer. With only one jack, it would have to
accommodate both a straight key and a paddle. I wonder if there is a
menu choice that disables the second circuit?

Fred
Old June 11th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article , mikea
wrote:

Or it may be a 2-conductor plug on a radio which requires a 3-conductor
plug.

Mike-

I think you have it. I found the service manual at mods.dk. It shows a
two-circuit key jack with additional circuits switched when the key is
plugged in. I didn't get the operator manual, but it probably has more
information about keying.

When the TS-820 came out, it was a top-of-the-line rig, so it may very
well have a built-in keyer. With only one jack, it would have to
accommodate both a straight key and a paddle. I wonder if there is a
menu choice that disables the second circuit?

Fred

The TS-820S came out in 1978. It did not have a built in keyer. Use a mono
1/4 " phone plug, it ought to work fine. I still have mine.

FS Kenwood 820S George[_5_] Boatanchors 0 June 1st 09 03:44 AM
FS. Kenwood TS -820S [email protected] Swap 3 April 8th 06 12:11 PM
FS Kenwood TS-820S Charlie Hugg Swap 0 February 20th 06 06:46 PM
FA: Kenwood TS-820S John Equipment 0 April 29th 04 03:55 AM
FA: Kenwood TS-820S John Equipment 0 April 29th 04 03:55 AM