Old April 7th 04, 07:00 PM
Civalo

Default WTB: Low Cost 2m Setup for Beginner

I'm looking at getting my liscence (within the next week) and getting setup
on 2m band. Anyone know of a good deal on a 2 meter setup? If not, can
anyone recomend a good redio for beginners. I'm a bit of a tech junky,
know a lot about electronics, programming etc. So I'm not too worried about
ease of operation.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Jonathan

Old April 7th 04, 07:48 PM
Incognito

Jonathan

Evaluate your needs whether HT or mobile or base.

Typically the new licensee purchases a Handi-Talkie (HT) for VHF/UHF, but
later find they are using their first radio mostly in a mobile or at a home
base station. A mobile rig can be easily switched back and forth between the
vehicle and a base location and offers considerable advantages over an HT.

This is not to bad-mouth the HTs, they are great for carrying in your shirt
pocket or belt clip for pedestrian use, public relations activities, and
traveling light. Just be aware of their limitations and intended use. They
certainly can be used for base and mobile applications, but better antennas
and DC power sources are definitely something to consider when you settle in
on an HT.

A mobile radio on the other hand can transmit up to 70 Watts, operates off
of car DC power or a DC power supply at the base location and can use an
antenna which typically is vastly superior to a rubber duck. Operating range
will be considerably greater with the higher power and good antenna. Prices
are about the same. So evaluate your needs and decide which starter radio is
best for you. Many eventually end up with both mobile and HT rigs.

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

Old April 7th 04, 08:01 PM
Civalo

I'm leaning heavly to mobile. I used to be on the CB a lot when I lived in
a smaller town. Always used a mobile then.

Eventually I may figure out someway to use a mobile in a vehicle as a
repeater for a handheld. Has this been done for amatuer use already?

Thanks

Jonathan

Old April 7th 04, 08:30 PM
Incognito

Cross band repeating (CBR) is a feature with some VHF-UHF dual band radios
that simply repeats what it receives on one band and automatically
retransmit it on the another band. This might be used when hiking or
camping. Your vehicle is on a hill and you are in a valley below. You can
take an HT with you and transceive to your mobile radio which will amplify
and cross band repeat to a repeater or other users. Some HTs can control the
mobile rig allowing frequency changes and voice feedback of the changes.
Several configurations can be used; Simplex-To-Simplex CBR,
Simplex-To-Repeater CBR, One-Way-CBR, and various modes of duplexing,
simplex, half, full, etc. Be sure to read the FCC rules regarding cross band
repeating. See Part 97.119 (a) Identification; Part 97.201 Auxiliary
Stations.
There are just too many schemes and different radios that can do crossband
to cover in detail here. Each manufacturer has their own method of
implementing cross band repeat, so you will have to read your manual for how
to set up and use the radio. An excellent series of articles can be found at
the ICOM page. URL: http://www.icomamerica.com/ Here go to technical
support, then ICOM Technical Documents, then ICOM Crossband Repeater
Information. For Auxiliary or Remote Base operation, the radio manufacturers
have application notes for the various radios.

Your local Ham radio store can advise you as to the features of dual band
radios

Old April 8th 04, 05:10 AM
Civalo

I heard a conversation on the good 'ol scanner earlier about CBR, Apperently
there is a bit of a delay caused by the radio switching back and forth
between bands. I guess this is due to the squelch circuits controling the
switch.

The conversation went on that he setup a radio as a remote/repeater instead
of using a rig with cbr.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks again
Jonathan

Old April 8th 04, 04:55 PM
Howard

Typically, the radio can be adjusted for "hang time" which would
shorten the delay you mention.

BTW, ditto to Incognito's responses - they are dead on.

Howard

IC-7800 cost? Bob Miller Equipment 10 April 2nd 04 06:26 AM
small 76cm dish antenna with free to air satellite programs. Setup help needed private person Antenna 0 March 4th 04 09:00 PM
Need a cost efective tower BADLY Mike Sims Antenna 12 December 18th 03 03:34 AM
My antenna setup, comments please gil Antenna 8 August 9th 03 03:49 AM
The High Cost of Shipping Al Lorona Boatanchors 28 July 27th 03 04:16 AM