Old April 26th 04, 06:28 AM
zeno

Default Yaesu FT-ONE

OK, I know this unit is total out of date and apparently had
some glitches, but it came along with an entire lot I
obtained which contained some other really good stuff, so in
a sense I have almost nothing invested in this solid state
boat anchor, but how bad can it really be, afterall it was
apparently Yaesu's top of the line transceiver a couple of
decades ago.

Might I not have some fun with it for awhile until I decide
what better thing to get? I am a new returning ham after more
decades than this outmoded transceiver. Apparently it was
both ahead of its time and outmoded as soon as it came out in
the early 80s. There was not very much info online but
apparently many European hams used it for awhile. I am just
getting started and am not sure what to really invest in.
This Yaesu is in working condition and the old guy getting
rid of it (and a whole garage full of other stuff), thought
it was pretty great when he last used it. Anyone have
anything good to say? Actually I haven't even hooked it up
yet.

Bill, K6TAJ

Old April 26th 04, 08:01 AM
Pete KE9OA

If I remember correctly, that was Yaesu's challenge against the Drake TR7.
Glass epoxy circuit boards, card cage construction, doubly-balanced diode
ring mixer. You can't go wrong with this one. I've wanted one for quite some
time, but whenever they go up for sale, people are asking very silly prices.
With all of the newer feature laden transceivers currently available, you
wouldn't be able to sell it for what it is worth; that is the reason that I
am keeping my TR7. I would just hang on to it. It is a nice rig.

Pete

Old April 26th 04, 10:15 AM

In article , zeno wrote:

[...]

There was a article in Communications Quarterly several years ago about
stablilizing the thing and adding a 10 hz display. It's got several
oscillators and they all float around. The crystals were part of the
problem, but also the use of cheap trimmer caps which were replaced with
piston trimmers in the article. A fun rig to play around with, but you
might need to get some extender cards if you can find them otherwise
jury rig up with wires to card connectors (a mess).

Enjoy

Dale, K9VUJ

Old April 26th 04, 05:10 PM
zeno

--

Hi Dale,

There are a bunch of "cards" here in a plastic bag which the ex-owner said
were used when working on the rig. Is that what you are talking about? It
might be interesting to track down that article in Communications
Quarterly, do you have any more info on that source?

Bill, K6TAJ

Old April 27th 04, 12:01 AM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 05:28:04 GMT, zeno wrote:

[...]

It was certainly the cat's meow in the early 80s when it was
introduced. Just plug the damned thing in and use it. Will probably
outperform most newer units. While you're at it, find a good guru who
knows how to fix older Yeasu's. :-)

A few years from now, it'll probably be worth $10,000 plus on ebay.
(If you keep it stock).

Bob
k5qwg

Old April 27th 04, 05:55 AM
zeno

Bob Miller wrote:

[...]

If nothing else it is a challenge to learn. Lots of features, kind of on
the complicated side of things. Guess it is a good introduction to modern
style rigs. It has all the documentation, manuals, service manuals, and
every receipt for minor repairs. Apparently the pilot lights are out on
the two meters. I may just forget about this, since I imagine it is not
an easy fix. Does Yaesu still work on these things?

Bill K6TAJ