Old May 6th 04, 04:01 AM
Lissette

Default Icom IC-229 Mic Question

Does anyone know what other mic is compatible with this radio or if you =
=

know how to fix the mic for this. It's apparently stuck on transmit, an=
d =

I can't find a way to fix.

73's
-- =

Lissette
KI4DYH
http://home.comcast.net/~matos11
http://www.re-tek.us
Old May 6th 04, 04:27 AM
Steve

HI, I do not know that exact mic but what is usually in these mics is a micro
switch that does the switching. These switches should be fairly easy to find
if discovered bad. This should be easy to check with an ohm meter.
Also, some of these mics use a spring steel piece of wire that is used to
release the micro switch and push back the PTT button. Sometimes that spring
pops off it's housing and locks the micro switch to its pushed in position.
This also is an easy fix.
Oh, one more thing, maybe the mic plug might have a broken wire in it causing
the
transmitter to be locked.
73 and Good Luck
------------------------------------

Old May 6th 04, 06:03 AM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 05 May 2004 23:01:11 -0400, Lissette wrote:

Does anyone know what other mic is compatible with this radio or if you
know how to fix the mic for this. It's apparently stuck on transmit, and
I can't find a way to fix.

I used an Adonis table mic with the IC-229H that was in service for
20+ years, the last 120 years on a 24/7 basis until the panel lights
went out. I'm legally blind in one eye so fixing it myself is not
an option because I don't have stereoscopic close-in vision, and
Icom wants $75 to do the job for me.

For twice that I could buy an IC-2100H which has 100 channels
compared to the 229's 20 channels, same power, better "SET" options,
and includes a time-out timer.

And so I did, last weekend, and retired the 229.

As far as the transmit sticking - it's either a short in the plug or
the mic switch. Not too difficult to fix if you can see small details.

I hope that you can get it fixed.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

[...]