Old September 20th 04, 12:35 AM
Dave Edwards

Default FA UNBUILT Eico RF probe RELISTED

'Cuz I said the word Heath in the listing!!
So, you can look again at....

Old September 20th 04, 12:41 AM
NO SPAM

If I read the ad correctly, it was an Eico RF probe. I also thought I seen
you say NOT Heath.... Either way, what was the big deal? I was going to bid
on it, but got in too late. Will watch it again.

NS

Old September 20th 04, 07:01 AM
Ed Price

"Dave Edwards" wrote in message
You are correct. When I posted this and a couple of other items for
auction,
I noticed in rec. radio.amateur.equipment that someone replied with the
text
"Keyword Spamming" and that's it.
That was for another item where I commented "like Yaesu" ...but my guess
is
that he just turned me in, and ebay shot down only one of my listings.
Funny, it was killed a few minutes AFTER the auction ended.
It really is a bad idea for ebay to get as involved as they do when it is
an
area they know nothing about. Anybody in to Heathkits would likely be
interested to read or bid on an unassembled Eico from the 1940's
Oh well....they are letting their success spoil them!

Some areas of eBay would become quite useless if buyers were allowed to
insert text that grabs your keyword searches. A seller automatically thinks
he wants to attract the biggest audience, when what he really wants is the
best audience.

If I'm looking for test leads, I'll search for that and some variations. But
if I want Lafayette test gear, I don't want to see somebody who has test
leads that, oh by the way, could be plugged into a Lafayette VTVM. Or
somebody flogging an Eico, that looks sorta like a Knight or a Lafayette or
a Heath.

I don't mind some useful or innocent text references that snag your
attention; the OP seemed to be in this category. But it really burns me to
drop onto an auction that seems only very vaguely related to my search, only
to find that some spammer has listed 75 radio brand names just to be sure of
snagging almost everyone. And since I often run 10 or so very targeted
searches, I'll get to see that same dumb auction ten times. And I can
guarantee you that I'll turn him in to abuse before I get to the tenth
viewing.

Ed
wb6wsn

Old September 20th 04, 12:26 PM
NO SPAM

"Ed Price" wrote in message

[...]

OK, then here is one to go by YOUR example.... N.R.I. A school no longer
in existence via mail for Electronics courses and others... I had NRI in my
search bar and at one time - all I got was that which I was looking for...
NOW... you get clothes and all other types of BULL ****. So your example is
not working either. Same with CONAR - a division of N.R.I. Used to be you
got their items. NOW you get much more. IT SUCKS. PART of that reason is
because some ass holes don't know how to spell and the search engine brings
it up or in the case of E-Bay, sticks it there. Like CONAIR for example, a
maker of Hair Dryers and such. CONAIR AND CONAR are close, but one letter
can make all the difference. SO, a typo OR misspelled word, gets it into the
listing. ALSO, when you list, if you know HOW to list, there are
"categories" to list in. SO, back to NRI - how do CLOTHES end up in an
ELECTRONICS area? HUH??????? Talk about a screw up, there ya go.

IF using my example, I have a meter made by Lafayette and someone has a set
of test leads or other parts maybe a meter movement, knobs, etc. which will
work on that item, so be it, let them post under the name... at least I know
when I punch it in, I can find it. E-Bay ads are like news papers and news
groups.. Skip what doesn't apply. You can usually tell in a glance as most
have a picture in the listing. At least in this case, items relating to the
Lafayette listing - even if exact replacement parts After Market - will get
me what I need. I'd rather sift those ads than finding Denim Jeans under a
Electronics area listing. The worst case scenario I can run into for
Lafayette, is if typing in that word, and finding say a book on the man -
Lafayette... or say the company's catalogs and so on. But to me, that is to
be expected. If I want Lafayette Radio, then I need to input that, still I
will get some catalogs from the company show up. It may bring up a meter or
such as well, that they sold. After all, they did go by Lafayette Radio
Electronics. There are many variables there. Your example isn't cut and dry.
It still leaves room for error as does mine.

Some are just too lazy to skip over stuff and complain because some one got
something not to their liking in a description. This guys ad was not
deceptive in my book and I don't think he should have been called on it. Why
not worry about the scammers and pay more attention to that than some petty
bull **** like this. When writing the ad, some are too damned lazy to read
what may be in front of them. I've seen some ads which had such horrific
spelling, that alone chased me away. I can't believe how dumb some people
are. Didn't they learn how to spell at least, even if their writing skills,
like mine, suck? Not everyone is a professional ad writer or writer in any
manner... But there is no real time limit I've seen when putting an ad in,
shy of what you set. SO why not take TIME to do it at least half decent if
not 100%. Come off as an individual with some common sense even if you have
no clue what you're selling that you've picked up at some Estate Sale. Use
your spell checker OR a dictionary. READ the labeling on the instrument or
package. IF YOU can't spell, then copy it word for word from what you see..
I have to think if you're placing an ad, you CAN read!

Let's just say I agree to disagree with your logic. You have a point, I
won't deny that, but it is a weak one as it can't be 100% applied. The bad
part is, I'm afraid it will only get worse as E-Bay continues to grow and
the declination of our country's spelling and other skills continues.

And, as I always say..... when you're the buyer, NO ONE held a gun to your
head to make you hit the enter button to bid. IF ANY THING looks wrong about
the ad... DO NOT BID.... How damned hard is that to understand? For Christ's
sakes, if you don't like something, like in a store... WALK AWAY. NO ONE
makes you spend your money. People really **** me off, crying the blues like
they're being robbed at gun point when THEY were the one to agree to it. A
big part of the problem are the ass holes who are clueless on how to spell
and those who can't make a sound decision to walk away from a situation
which they can't see beyond black and white. ANYONE who knew Electronics
items would have known what this man was selling. "I" had not problem with
it, I'm sure many others didn't either. IF you do not know what the hell
you're looking at then you have no business buying it. WHY cry about it? HOW
LAME.

The only thing about this man's ad that caught me - was no cable included!
Strange for a kit, but hey! I have the option to bid or walk. I don't know
why EICO sold it that way, maybe they intended it to be wired to the cable
for your particular unit regardless of make as just a "replacement probe -
only", I don't know what their intent was. I've made RF Probes here in my
shop from scratch, no big deal. I seen the kit and well, I have a ton of
cable here, so I'll bid. MY CHOICE. I prefer kits when I can get them
instead of scrounging for parts. If I'm not happy when I get it, TOO DAMNED
BAD. I will have no one to blame but me. The ad in itself was descriptive as
to what is being offered or not included. In this case, like most in my
case, if it doesn't pan out for the intended use, it will for other
projects. I'm always building or modifying something. That is no worse than
me going to a ham fest and buying a box of miscellaneous components for say
$5 to get "A" part. The rest will be used at some point. For that $5, I've
gotten upwards of $50 in parts. Not a bad investment when you're into USING
the stuff. It is a waste only when you do not. If I don't use it to build or
modify, then it will be for repairs, as most of what I've bought are still
in packages. And regardless whether I buy from a company or Hamfest I ALWAYS
test components before installing. I learned that way back, not to trust any
parts even if new in package. I only buy things also, which I know I have a
chance of doing something with, should it not pan out per the ad. After all,
not all ads are honest as to working OR very questionable to say the least
such as "it lights up". WHOOPPIEEEE. IF I can't use it for parts for a unit
already on hand, repair it should it not work, use it in some way, then I
WILL NOT BID - no matter how the ad is written.

Is there a better way? Maybe, but will it satisfy all who use the system or
eliminate the errors humans make? Probably not. As I said, I agree to
disagree with you. Any points or references I have made past the first
paragraph, were not meant to be derogatory towards you personally Mr. Price-
NOR does the words you/you're/you've - mean YOU (Mr. Price) personally - the
only exception being using your example in the first paragraph of my reply
which I don't agree to as being a good one.. So, I hope you don't take it as
such. I write this as others would (and will) read it as well. Maybe even
those it certainly applies to.

NS