Old September 21st 04, 12:57 AM
moth .

Default Strange Problem With HT - Help!

My HT, power supply and amp are in the living room. The coax runs into
the kitchen with a Diamond 2 meter magmount antenna out the kitchen
window on a steel plate. I have had no problems for 11 years.

Yesterday I keyed down and heard a buzz coming from the kitchen. I had a
friend key down, went to the kitchen to see where the buzz is coming
from and it's coming from the outlet next to the window that has NOTHING
plugged into it! My units are all plugged in in the living room. What's
happening here RF wise? If you have any idea, please either post it here
or email me. I have an Extra Class License but this isn't in the books
:-( Thanks in advance!

Old September 21st 04, 01:32 AM
Ralph Mowery

"moth ." wrote in message
My HT, power supply and amp are in the living room. The coax runs into
the kitchen with a Diamond 2 meter magmount antenna out the kitchen
window on a steel plate. I have had no problems for 11 years.

Yesterday I keyed down and heard a buzz coming from the kitchen. I had a
friend key down, went to the kitchen to see where the buzz is coming
from and it's coming from the outlet next to the window that has NOTHING
plugged into it! My units are all plugged in in the living room. What's
happening here RF wise? If you have any idea, please either post it here
or email me. I have an Extra Class License but this isn't in the books
:-( Thanks in advance!

Maybe a loose wire in the outlet ? Sometimes the outlets are wired to each
other and as current is drawn from them they can cause problems.

Old September 21st 04, 02:25 AM
Allodoxaphobia

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:57:12 -0400, moth . hath writ:
My HT, power supply and amp are in the living room. The coax runs into
the kitchen with a Diamond 2 meter magmount antenna out the kitchen
window on a steel plate. I have had no problems for 11 years.

Yesterday I keyed down and heard a buzz coming from the kitchen. I had a
friend key down, went to the kitchen to see where the buzz is coming
from and it's coming from the outlet next to the window that has NOTHING
plugged into it! My units are all plugged in in the living room. What's
happening here RF wise? If you have any idea, please either post it here
or email me. I have an Extra Class License but this isn't in the books
:-( Thanks in advance!

Pro'lly the branch line to feed that outlet comes _down_ the
outside wall (from the attic / from the ceiling.) Makes a
GREAT little vertical antenna -- great for coupling RF from
your nearby vertical antenna.

I'd take the vanity plate off the outlet, darken the room,
and re-create the scenario you explained above. Get in close and
see what is arcing, buzzing, spitting. As others have said, it's
pro'lly a loose connection.

I have Extra Class License, too, but ...

73
Jonesy

Old September 21st 04, 02:25 AM
Allodoxaphobia

Old September 21st 04, 02:25 AM
Allodoxaphobia

Old September 21st 04, 05:29 AM
Dave Platt

My HT, power supply and amp are in the living room. The coax runs into
the kitchen with a Diamond 2 meter magmount antenna out the kitchen
window on a steel plate. I have had no problems for 11 years.

Yesterday I keyed down and heard a buzz coming from the kitchen. I had a
friend key down, went to the kitchen to see where the buzz is coming
from and it's coming from the outlet next to the window that has NOTHING
plugged into it! My units are all plugged in in the living room. What's
happening here RF wise? If you have any idea, please either post it here
or email me. I have an Extra Class License but this isn't in the books
:-( Thanks in advance!

Is that by any chance an outlet with a GFCI (ground fault circuit
interrupter) built in? Current electrical codes generally require
that these be used for all outlets around areas with water. They
usually have a solenoid or other sort of circuit breaker inside, and
it's possible that this is being partially activated by rectified RF
currents.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old September 21st 04, 05:29 AM
Dave Platt

[...]

Strange Radio Event - 22/24 October 2004 IZ7AUH Francesco GIACOIA Dx 0 September 10th 04 09:12 AM
Strange Radio Event - 22/24 October 2004 IZ7AUH Francesco GIACOIA Dx 0 September 10th 04 09:12 AM
TS-940 strange problem Don Equipment 4 February 12th 04 03:12 AM
TS-940 strange problem Don Equipment 0 February 9th 04 06:01 PM
National NCX-5 transmit/receive offset problem Chris Equipment 2 July 19th 03 02:57 AM