Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 7th 12, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default CB radio for emergencies?

On 12/7/2012 5:07 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
I was thinking of getting a pair of handheld CBs for emergencies. I'm in
the US just FYI since each country has a billion different standards.
I saw a story about Hurricane Sandy, where a family member went out to
help somebody down the road. Wouldn't it be nice if he brought a radio so
he could communicate with the people he left at home? Since I my area was
amazingly lucky and had literally zero damage even though the storm passed
right over us. Things could have been very different. It got me thinking
that if I were in that situation.
I was thinking of a set of UHF, GMRS, or even business band radios. I
knew I would be breaking the law using them, but during an emergency I
don't think anybody would come after me. I would not use them every day.
I'm thinking CB might be a good idea too, since there are probably more
people on it and they could listen in and possibly help. A good thing if
emergency services are stretched if operating at all.
Eventually I plan on getting a HAM license, and being part of the local
Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES).
What is your input? Any specific models or brands of radio I should get
that fits the bill?

As you are planning on getting a ham license, you may want to look at this
brand. Go to Amazon.com and search for Baofeng. They are small handy
talkies that have an output of about 4 watts. They can be programmed for
the ham bands and other frequencies. Be sure to get the programming cable
and softwear for them. A pair should be less than $ 100.

Yes I'm planning on getting a HAM license, however I'm studying for the
CPA first.
What about brands like Kenwood? Aren't they know for decent quality?