RadioBanter

-   -   Marine VHF Radio for Truck (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/197136-marine-vhf-radio-truck.html)

Jerry Stuckle September 2nd 13 08:02 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/2/2013 12:59 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/2/2013 12:01 AM,
wrote:

snip

$100 Hong Kong is $12.89 US; I doubt you will find many VHF marine
radios $12.89 US.

There are amateur radios available for $500 HK. That is not out of
the question.

$500 is 5 times $100, which is the amount in question.

Yup. Glad to see you can do multiplication. Shall we try division now?

And I don't know what other countries use the dollar, but I'm sure there
are.

I already told you what they are.

That's all of them? I know you didn't mention Hong Kong in your earlier
post.

snip

Which does not mean short stations do not have to be licensed. They
still do.

Yes, but the original question was about monitoring, and no license is
required for that.

No, but then you don't need a transceiver on land, either. A simple
scanner will suffice.

However, he specifically is asking about installing a radio. To me this
means he wants to monitor the *trip*, not the frequency - and to do so
is interested in talking to those in the kayaks. Why else would he be
asking about installing a radio, instead of just a receiver?

snip

It is exactly the issue. You can't say whether a license is required or
not until you know what country the OP is in.

How much are you willing to bet he is in neither the USA or Canada, both
of which have essentially the same rules.

I'm not willing to bet anything, because I don't make assumptions one
way or the other. And I don't give advice based on facts I don't know.

Also, he said he wanted to monitor on land.

Again - he said he wanted to monitor the trip - not the frequency. And
he specifically asked about installing a radio - instead of a handheld.
To me this means he also wants to talk.

snip

That does not mean the licensing requirements are the same.

They are for the USA and Canada.

No where did he say where he was from. You are making an unwarranted
assumption.

snip

I don't think reviews are illegal to operate in any country, though maybe
North Korea...

But you don't know. As I said before, in the U.S., marine stations
still need to be licensed when on land (the same is true of aircraft
radios, BTW).

Which has nothing to do with what I said; read it again.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with what YOU said. But it has
EVERYTHING to do with what the OP said.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

[email protected] September 2nd 13 08:55 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/2/2013 12:59 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/2/2013 12:01 AM,
wrote:

snip

$100 Hong Kong is $12.89 US; I doubt you will find many VHF marine
radios $12.89 US.

There are amateur radios available for $500 HK. That is not out of
the question.

$500 is 5 times $100, which is the amount in question.

Yup. Glad to see you can do multiplication. Shall we try division now?

Shall we try to pay attention to what was written, i.e. radios for $100?

And I don't know what other countries use the dollar, but I'm sure there
are.

I already told you what they are.

That's all of them? I know you didn't mention Hong Kong in your earlier
post.

I didn't mention all of them because the exchange rate make a $100 radio
a ludicrous idea.

snip

Which does not mean short stations do not have to be licensed. They
still do.

Yes, but the original question was about monitoring, and no license is
required for that.

No, but then you don't need a transceiver on land, either. A simple
scanner will suffice.

Likely, but he also specifically said he might want to use it on his boat.

However, he specifically is asking about installing a radio. To me this
means he wants to monitor the *trip*, not the frequency - and to do so
is interested in talking to those in the kayaks. Why else would he be
asking about installing a radio, instead of just a receiver?

Because:

1. A scanner may have never occured to him.

2. He also might use it on his boat as he said.

snip

It is exactly the issue. You can't say whether a license is required or
not until you know what country the OP is in.

How much are you willing to bet he is in neither the USA or Canada, both
of which have essentially the same rules.

I'm not willing to bet anything, because I don't make assumptions one
way or the other. And I don't give advice based on facts I don't know.

Ever heard the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and
quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."? Everything he wrote
points to being from the US with a slight chance of Canada.

Also, your "advice" had nothing to do with the questions asked and instead
immediately took the position of net cop to make *sure* everything he
did was legal in your eyes.

Also, he said he wanted to monitor on land.

Again - he said he wanted to monitor the trip - not the frequency. And
he specifically asked about installing a radio - instead of a handheld.
To me this means he also wants to talk.

He actually said he wanted to monitor several things.

snip

That does not mean the licensing requirements are the same.

They are for the USA and Canada.

No where did he say where he was from. You are making an unwarranted
assumption.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then
it probably is a duck.

Also where he is is irrelevant to the questions he actually asked.

snip

I don't think reviews are illegal to operate in any country, though maybe
North Korea...

But you don't know. As I said before, in the U.S., marine stations
still need to be licensed when on land (the same is true of aircraft
radios, BTW).

Which has nothing to do with what I said; read it again.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with what YOU said. But it has
EVERYTHING to do with what the OP said.

Nope, I said the Internet is full of *reviews*.

You immediately went off on legalities.

Two differnent subjects.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle September 2nd 13 09:14 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/2/2013 3:55 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/2/2013 12:59 PM,
wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/2/2013 12:01 AM,
wrote:

snip

$100 Hong Kong is $12.89 US; I doubt you will find many VHF marine
radios $12.89 US.

There are amateur radios available for $500 HK. That is not out of
the question.

$500 is 5 times $100, which is the amount in question.

Yup. Glad to see you can do multiplication. Shall we try division now?

Shall we try to pay attention to what was written, i.e. radios for $100?

Exactly. And there are some awfully cheap radios coming from China
nowadays. Like this one:
http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng...ham-radio.html

Easily within the $100-500 HK.

And I don't know what other countries use the dollar, but I'm sure there
are.

I already told you what they are.

That's all of them? I know you didn't mention Hong Kong in your earlier
post.

I didn't mention all of them because the exchange rate make a $100 radio
a ludicrous idea.

Like the one I mentioned above? And are ALL Asian exchange rates the
same? I don't think so.

snip

Which does not mean short stations do not have to be licensed. They
still do.

Yes, but the original question was about monitoring, and no license is
required for that.

No, but then you don't need a transceiver on land, either. A simple
scanner will suffice.

Likely, but he also specifically said he might want to use it on his boat.

Which would indicate a transceiver.

However, he specifically is asking about installing a radio. To me this
means he wants to monitor the *trip*, not the frequency - and to do so
is interested in talking to those in the kayaks. Why else would he be
asking about installing a radio, instead of just a receiver?

Because:

1. A scanner may have never occured to him.

2. He also might use it on his boat as he said.

In which case he would need a license to use it in his truck in many
(most?) countries.

snip

It is exactly the issue. You can't say whether a license is required or
not until you know what country the OP is in.

How much are you willing to bet he is in neither the USA or Canada, both
of which have essentially the same rules.

I'm not willing to bet anything, because I don't make assumptions one
way or the other. And I don't give advice based on facts I don't know.

Ever heard the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and
quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."? Everything he wrote
points to being from the US with a slight chance of Canada.

To use your language: Quack, Quack.

Nothing he wrote pointed to any country.

Also, your "advice" had nothing to do with the questions asked and instead
immediately took the position of net cop to make *sure* everything he
did was legal in your eyes.

No, I am making sure the advice I give is legal in HIS jurisdiction.
Obviously you don't care - you are more interested in arguing.

Also, he said he wanted to monitor on land.

Again - he said he wanted to monitor the trip - not the frequency. And
he specifically asked about installing a radio - instead of a handheld.
To me this means he also wants to talk.

He actually said he wanted to monitor several things.

Sure. And he specifically mentioned he wanted a radio instead of a
handheld, and wanted to use it in his boat as well as his truck.
Everything points to him asking for a transceiver.

snip

That does not mean the licensing requirements are the same.

They are for the USA and Canada.

No where did he say where he was from. You are making an unwarranted
assumption.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then
it probably is a duck.

Quack, quack.

Also where he is is irrelevant to the questions he actually asked.

Where he is is COMPLETELY relevant to the question he asked. But you
are more interested in proving your point than giving him correct answers.

snip

I don't think reviews are illegal to operate in any country, though maybe
North Korea...

But you don't know. As I said before, in the U.S., marine stations
still need to be licensed when on land (the same is true of aircraft
radios, BTW).

Which has nothing to do with what I said; read it again.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with what YOU said. But it has
EVERYTHING to do with what the OP said.

Nope, I said the Internet is full of *reviews*.

You immediately went off on legalities.

Two differnent subjects.

Obviously you can't read what I said. Once again - I wasn't talking
about what YOU said (I really couldn't care less). I was replying to
what the OP said.

But you are really hooked on you being right, aren't you? Me, I'd
rather give the OP answers which are legal where HE is. Which once
again, we don't know because he hasn't said.

Just because YOU are in the United States (or Canada) does NOT mean the
rest of the world is. This is a typical US-centric attitude I have seen
over and over again. There are other countries, you know. And some of
them even use radios.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

[email protected] September 2nd 13 11:47 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

Obviously you can't read what I said. Once again - I wasn't talking
about what YOU said (I really couldn't care less). I was replying to
what the OP said.

But you are really hooked on you being right, aren't you? Me, I'd
rather give the OP answers which are legal where HE is. Which once
again, we don't know because he hasn't said.

Just because YOU are in the United States (or Canada) does NOT mean the
rest of the world is. This is a typical US-centric attitude I have seen
over and over again. There are other countries, you know. And some of
them even use radios.

Here is the orginal question:

"Other than the obvious features like the remote mic unit, what should I
look for in getting a quality unit that will work the best without
breaking the bank."

FYI a feature is something like how many memories, are the backlights
dimmable, or does it have a built in AC power supply.

Nothing in that question has any relevance to what country the asker is
in.

You ignored the only question he had and went off on a net cop tangent
about legalities and needing to know what country he is in. To be
complete in that line of thinking you also need to know of which country
he is a citizen as any good net cop should know most countries do not
issue radio licenses to foreigner.

As for me, I just like having fun poking at net cops that get their
panties in a wad and go of on irrelevant tangets when someone asks
a rather simple question.

--
Jim Pennino

Jerry Stuckle September 3rd 13 01:16 AM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/2/2013 6:47 PM, wrote:
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

[...]

You obviously don't understand what the term "net cop" means. Or you
wouldn't be one.

As for me, I just like having fun poking at net cops that get their
panties in a wad and go of on irrelevant tangets when someone asks
a rather simple question.

So you admit you're a troll as well as a net cop? It figures.

plonk

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

[email protected] September 3rd 13 02:59 AM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

snip

You obviously don't understand what the term "net cop" means. Or you
wouldn't be one.

I guess to be accurate I would have to describe your actions as part
net cop, part barracks lawyer.

In any case, you are a pompous ass that insists that questions be asked
in your approved manner and answers questions that were never asked.

--
Jim Pennino

Channel Jumper September 3rd 13 01:37 PM

You can monitor anything - that does not require a license to do.

However, there is a range restriction when operating on land.
So many feet away from the water.

Your groups needs would be better served with a bunch of bubble pack GMRS radios - the amount of power has very little to do with the range.

Range is dependent on a clear line of sight and the height of the antenna's and the loss in the feed lines.

rickman September 3rd 13 05:21 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/2/2013 4:49 AM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
wrote:

I don't think reviews are illegal to operate in any country, though maybe
North Korea...

The US has specific rules and regulations about land use of marine
frequencies. It would be best to find them out, there is a rumor floating
around the internet about an FCC officer happening to be at return end
of a boat rental stopping people and issuing NALs for people using
non approved or unlicensed radios for FRS GMRS and marine services.

Basically, you are licensed by use of a VHF marine radio ON A BOAT, but
having or using that radio in a car or building, or using it on land,
for example in a boat in your backyard is restricted.

There also is a story floating around the internet of a logging company
using marine radios on their boats and trucks being fined by the FCC.

Best to check it out from someone who knows the right answer before you
spend any money or get in trouble.

I have to say I didn't expect quite so much drama in what I thought was
a simple request. I don't mean you specifically, but the thread as a
whole.

Yes, I am in the US. The radio will be used to support marine
communications which is legal by my understanding. Shore operation is
ok as long as one end is a ship. My specific purpose is to support a
kayak trip in a couple of weeks. We have had some bad weather before
and found it difficult to communicate with the kayaks depending on their
location because of the limited power of the hand held units. I'd like
to improve on this by using a higher power transmitter and a better
antenna. This will likely be used for monitoring the emergency channel
at a lake house when not used to support kayaks. I thought I explained
this in my original post other than the country. Oh, and I don't have a
license.

BTW, I didn't find much in the way of reviews. Mostly I find ads. Is
there a good review site for marine VHF? For kayaks that would be
paddling.com

I also would appreciate any advice on mounting in the pickup. I'm
thinking on the back of the cab but I'm not sure how the cable would
then run. It might poke out behind a passenger's head...

--

Rick

rickman September 3rd 13 05:23 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/2/2013 1:03 PM, wrote:
Geoffrey S. wrote:

He said he wanted to monitor on land. Monitoring on land is not restricted.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "monitor". I do expect to
communicate with the kayaks.

There also is a story floating around the internet of a logging company
using marine radios on their boats and trucks being fined by the FCC.

Which is an obvious violation.

Where is the violation? As long as the trucks are only transmitting to
the ships, isn't that ok? Just having them shouldn't be a problem. The
issue is how you use them, no?

--

Rick

rickman September 3rd 13 05:47 PM

Marine VHF Radio for Truck

On 9/2/2013 1:11 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In ,
wrote:

I doubt I'll be mounting this in a boat although that is a possibility
someday, I do have a ski boat. But more likely is that I'll mount it at
my house on a lake to provide some amount of emergency monitoring. So I
expect to mount it in the pickup so it can be easily removed and brought
into the house. I guess that means a second antenna too.

Rick-

I am assuming you can manage the legal requirements for use of the
radio. As others mentioned, a license may be needed.

One question you must address, is what kind of range do you need to
cover? VHF radios are essentially line-of-sight. Due to the curvature
of the earth, the "radio horizon" will limit your range.

You can estimate the distance in miles to the radio horizon, as the
square root of twice the altitude of your antenna in feet. For example,
the antenna on the roof of your truck will be approximately five feet
off the ground. The square root of ten is about 3.2, so your horizon on
level ground will be about 3 miles away.

You can add the distance to the kayak's horizon to yours. So it would
matter if the kayak is on a mountainous stream or on the open ocean or
lake.

If vehicle mounting does not provide the range you need, a tall antenna
may be required at the house. (Have you considered using cell phones?)

Hi Fred, I appreciate the response.

I'm not sure there is a lot of value to calculating the line of sight
for the antenna mount. I don't have much choice in the mount other than
having to make it lower because of some practical consideration like
hitting bridges... As to need, I want the max I can get of course. The
other end of the link will all be handheld radios.

The kayaks will be on the Chesapeake Bay, but close to shore. So land
obstructions will be the limiting factor most of the time. At least it
seemed that way on prior trips. But I don't have a lot of experience
with the hand held units we used so I'm not sure what I should have
expected.

The sort of issue I'm more interested in discussing are things like what
type of antenna and how best to mount and connect it to the radio. Of
course, I'm interested in the radios if anyone here has experience with
them. I see 25 Watt (which I'm assuming is the max available) units at
the bottom end for just over $100 and others which seem to be similar in
regards to the specs I understand for over $200 and of course the prices
run upward too. Are there aspects I should look for that I need to dig
deeper into the specs to find? For example is there some spec on the
internals of the receiver that would make a weakly received signal more
clear than another radio? What about the speaker itself? Would it be
better to have an external speaker or is the internal speaker usually ok?

I'm looking for advice from those who are experienced with marine VHF.
Of course, I don't know what I don't know, so I'm looking for help
figuring out the questions.

--

Rick