Old November 22nd 04, 08:13 PM
Joel Kolstad

Default Icom IC-745 question (how does CW mode work?)

I've recently acquired an Icom IC-745 and I'm unclear on how it's supposed
to work in CW mode. It does receive in SSB and AM, so in general the
receiver appears to work. When I press the 'mode' button to get it to CW
mode, however, it's just... silent. Actually, if I turn up the audio gain,
there is some slight noise in the background. If I turn the squelch (close
to) all the way up, the green 'receive' LED will go out and there's no
detectable noise coming from the speaker.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong here? I was expected that there'd
still be some hissing (background noise) coming from the radio even in CW
mode?

Thanks,
---Joel Kolstad