Old November 22nd 04, 08:13 PM
Joel Kolstad

Default Icom IC-745 question (how does CW mode work?)

I've recently acquired an Icom IC-745 and I'm unclear on how it's supposed
to work in CW mode. It does receive in SSB and AM, so in general the
receiver appears to work. When I press the 'mode' button to get it to CW
mode, however, it's just... silent. Actually, if I turn up the audio gain,
there is some slight noise in the background. If I turn the squelch (close
to) all the way up, the green 'receive' LED will go out and there's no
detectable noise coming from the speaker.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong here? I was expected that there'd
still be some hissing (background noise) coming from the radio even in CW
mode?

Thanks,
---Joel Kolstad

Old November 22nd 04, 11:48 PM
Dick

It could be the filters. Unless an FL-52 or FL-53 455 khz filter is
installed, the radio doesn't work when switched to narrow. Take a
look at page 7-1 in the manual. It shows the various combinations of
filters, and which works when.

Dick - W6CCD

Old November 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
AaronJ

"Frank Krozel" wrote:

I agree the ex-owner probably ripped out the filter.
Frank KG9H
.. .

wrote:

I've recently acquired an Icom IC-745 and I'm unclear on how it's

supposed
to work in CW mode. It does receive in SSB and AM, so in general the
receiver appears to work. When I press the 'mode' button to get it to CW
mode, however, it's just... silent. Actually, if I turn up the audio

gain,
there is some slight noise in the background. If I turn the squelch

(close
to) all the way up, the green 'receive' LED will go out and there's no
detectable noise coming from the speaker.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong here? I was expected that there'd
still be some hissing (background noise) coming from the radio even in CW
mode?

Thanks,
---Joel Kolstad

I agree also. You're probably missing the CW filter. However check your manual.
Every rig I've had with an optional CW filter had a way to route the CW mode
through the SSB filter if that filter was not installed, either by the menu or a
jumper.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:04 AM
AaronJ

wrote:

[...]

Icom 730 preventative maintenance question Michael Brown Equipment 4 April 26th 04 04:23 AM
Icom 730 preventative maintenance question Michael Brown Equipment 0 April 25th 04 05:46 PM
Icom T2H ANI Mode Michael Ko Equipment 10 October 23rd 03 07:59 PM
Icom T2H ANI Mode Michael Ko Equipment 0 October 9th 03 09:13 PM
question ICOM PCR-1000 Tomislav Stimac Equipment 0 August 24th 03 10:59 AM