Old December 12th 04, 05:13 AM
Marcelo

Default Questions on Kenwood TR-7950

Norm & Cathy Beasley wrote:
Ref.: Questions on Kenwood TR-7950

Dear SIG Readers and PNG Amateurs,

I am working on a TR-7950 for Al Stucky, one of the hams in our

mission. Of
course, there is no manual, and being as we are on this side of the

world
and not real close to any Kenwood dealers, I am a bit stuck and in

need of
some help.

The owner had some misc. complaints, among them a loose mic

connector,
burned out lights for backlighting and the main complaint,

transmit/receive
that is sometimes there and sometimes not. The mic connector is not a
problem now, but I need some help with the lights and the

transmit/receive
that is sometimes there, sometimes not.

A) Could someone with a manual or knowledge of this model radio help

me with
some part numbers &/or cost for same?:

1) There are 2 green, "grain of wheat" type bulbs on the "S-Meter"

board,
p/n: X54-1700-10, between the 3 rectangle LEDs for the

REV/C.TUNING/PRIO
indicators.

2) Another green, "grain of wheat" type bulb mounted behind the front

panel
chassis, that illuminates the Memory Selector knob ring on the front

panel.

3) A clear, "grain of wheat" type bulb on the "S-Meter" board, p/n:
X54-1700-10, behind the DTMF keypad for backlighting.

Is it possible to replace the "grain of wheat" type bulbs in these
applications with a (physically small) LED? Would this be a good

option to
try? If so, could someone confirm that the voltage on the tracks for

these
bulbs is 12 volts?

B) Could someone with knowledge of this radio advise me on the
transmit/receive that is sometimes there/sometimes not? I have not

been able
to duplicate this problem. Connected to Power supply and antennas in

my
shack, the radio transmits and receives fine (i.e.: as I would expect

it
to). As the owner is "out bush" I would like to be a little more

confident
that the problem is fully solved, not just "it works for me...".

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Seasons Greetings and 73 to all,

Norm Beasley, P29NB/KO4CB
SIL, Ukarumpa, PAPUA NEW GUINEA