Old December 28th 04, 03:45 PM
Jeff L

Default Question: good pulse noise blanker?

Howdy,

I have a pulsing noise (about 1 pule a second) that I would like to
eliminate / attenuate. Any suggestions? Any comments on MFJ DSP
filter, or Timewave 59+?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old December 29th 04, 12:24 AM
Jeff L

It's my home setup. I have an Icom 706 and the DSP and blanker helps
but the pulse noise (maybe s3) is annoying. It appears to be coming
from a neighbor's house.

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:44:02 -0700, "Bob M." wrote:

Where is your station: in a car, at home, on the boat....?

.. .

Old December 29th 04, 12:35 AM
Dave Platt

It's my home setup. I have an Icom 706 and the DSP and blanker helps
but the pulse noise (maybe s3) is annoying. It appears to be coming
from a neighbor's house.

The most effective solution would probably be to enlist your
neighbor's assistance, find the offending device, and figure out some
sort of a noise suppression which could be done at the source.

Fairly common culprits for this sort of periodic impulse noise are
fish-tank heaters (noise occurs when the thermostat turns the heater
on or off), pulse-type electric-fence energizers (partial short
circuits of the "hot" fence wire to ground can cause such noise), and
certain types of battery-charger.

A noise filter which plugs in between the offending device, and the
AC wall socket, may be the least expensive and most effective
solution. If you're on tolerably good terms with your neighbor, and
are willing to pay for the filter (even though dealing with the noise
is technically the neighbor's responsibility), this is the approach
I'd recommend. [I wouldn't recommend actually making any
modifications to the neighbor's equipment yourself, for liability
reasons... just supply a filter and let the neighbor plug it in.]

You could try dealing with the noise at the audio-output level using a
ClearSpeech or similar DSP-equipped speaker system, but my impression
is that these are fundamentally less effective than an IF-based
blanker (which your rig already has).

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old December 29th 04, 02:22 AM
Jeff L

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. I've never met this neighbor yet, but
I do plan to. Kind of a bummer it has to be over a problem!

Your electric fence comments are interesting. It's a very regular,
rhythmic pulse every second or so.

Jeff

Old December 29th 04, 05:42 AM
Bob M.

ClearSpeech speakers probably won't work on this kind of noise. They need
consistent noise to be most effective, not on-off-on-off noise.

I would also check stuff in your house first before going to the neighbor.

Best noise blanker gil Equipment 6 November 21st 04 02:36 AM
Best noise blanker gil Equipment 0 November 20th 04 02:41 PM
Best noise blanker gil Equipment 0 November 20th 04 02:41 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM
Rare Books on Electronics and Radio and Commmunications Hania Lux Equipment 0 October 22nd 03 07:48 PM