Old January 17th 16, 04:57 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Blade fuse sockets?

Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

Old January 17th 16, 06:54 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/62
Old January 17th 16, 07:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 1/17/2016 9:57 AM, gareth wrote:
Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

I know of good places in the states, but I think that would not be too
useful for you. But in latest issue of QST, I think it was, someone
pointed out that PowerPoles side by side fit those fuses. Not a
long-term solution but something to remember for special situations.
Bob W, WA9D
Old January 17th 16, 08:04 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/62

Looks good, I'll try them tomorrow

Old January 17th 16, 08:26 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Bob Wilson" wrote in message
On 1/17/2016 9:57 AM, gareth wrote:
Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

I know of good places in the states, but I think that would not be too
useful for you. But in latest issue of QST, I think it was, someone
pointed out that PowerPoles side by side fit those fuses. Not a long-term
solution but something to remember for special situations.
Bob W, WA9D

I just tried that. While the distance between the PPs is the rigt length,
the thickness of the blade part of the fuse is no where near thick enough to
make contact. The blade would have to several times thicker to make contact
and not fall out. I guess in a pinch something could be put in to take up
the space, but probably not a good idea.

I have ordered some of the inline fuse connectors from the Ebay China
stores. Not sure how long it would take Garth to get them, but usually 2 to
3 weeks for me in the states. If ordering fuse holders that are not the
blade type, one has to check the deminisions of the holders for the glass
type. Seems there are 2 basic sizes, the 3AG and a smaller one that is
probably the metric size.

Old January 17th 16, 09:01 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 17/01/16 19:26, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I have ordered some of the inline fuse connectors from the Ebay China
stores. Not sure how long it would take Garth to get them, but usually 2 to
3 weeks for me in the states. If ordering fuse holders that are not the
blade type, one has to check the deminisions of the holders for the glass
type. Seems there are 2 basic sizes, the 3AG and a smaller one that is
probably the metric size.

Holders for standard and mini auto/car fuses widely available on Ebay
and in places like Halfords (a UK High St store, although Halfords are
much more expensive).

Ebay ones are available with wire leads and without, from UK and Chinese
suppliers.

Maplin probably do them but, compared to Ebay, they will be expensive.

Banks of standard (and possibly mini) fuseholders are available.
Likewise, some stand fuseholders clip together to make banks.

Scotchlok fuses holders are available but I wouldn't recommend them,
other than as perhaps a temporary measure.

As a temporary fuse holder you can use a couple of 1/4" blade sockets.
I'd not use them for a long term solution but as a temporary measure
they are fine.

Old January 17th 16, 09:07 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
As a temporary fuse holder you can use a couple of 1/4" blade sockets. I'd
not use them for a long term solution but as a temporary measure they are
fine.

That's a brilliant idea, OM, and I just happen to have a box of 50 of them
left over from wiring up the Landy (must be nearly 20 years ago) for
a caravan electrics sockwt.

Just tried it out ... No reason why it shouldn't also be the long term
solution,
as you'd need those spade sockets to attach to a pukka holder anyway!

Old January 17th 16, 09:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 17/01/2016 20:07, gareth wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
As a temporary fuse holder you can use a couple of 1/4" blade sockets. I'd
not use them for a long term solution but as a temporary measure they are
fine.

That's a brilliant idea, OM, and I just happen to have a box of 50 of them
left over from wiring up the Landy (must be nearly 20 years ago) for
a caravan electrics sockwt.

Just tried it out ... No reason why it shouldn't also be the long term
solution,
as you'd need those spade sockets to attach to a pukka holder anyway!

ah the nice...pals

--
Cheat your way through life, join the Freemasons
DIGITAL just doesn't work properly most of the time
Old January 17th 16, 11:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
As a temporary fuse holder you can use a couple of 1/4" blade sockets. I'd
not use them for a long term solution but as a temporary measure they are
fine.

That's a brilliant idea, OM, and I just happen to have a box of 50 of them
left over from wiring up the Landy (must be nearly 20 years ago) for
a caravan electrics sockwt.

Just tried it out ... No reason why it shouldn't also be the long term
solution,
as you'd need those spade sockets to attach to a pukka holder anyway!

ah the nice...pals

You see it can work!
Old January 18th 16, 01:40 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:

Can anybody identify a source of sockets for automotive blade fuses, for
it seems to be a good idea to insert same in the power leads currently
being powerpoled?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/62

Ta muchly, just ordered a batch of 10, should see me out!