Old October 17th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sounds like someone speakiihg through a fan blade

~19:40 UTC on 9.515;

sounds like arabic

- What is this sound distortion caused by poor propagation called ?

BarnegateDx

Old October 17th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It's called Distortion.I have one of my very old electric fans sitting
and ahh running on an end table by doggy's end of her couch.(those old
electric fans have a nice whirring sound that new fangled electric fans
can not match) I am not going to talk through that fan blade though, I
haven't done that sort of thingy since I was a kid.I am a big kid
now,,,, I grew up.Hey, stick your finger in that light bulb socket and I
will turn it on!
cuhulin

Old October 17th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

wrote:

~19:40 UTC on 9.515;

sounds like arabic

At 16:10 CDT I hear what sounds like Chinese at 20db over S9 here in No. MN.

Regards,

Michael
Old October 17th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

msg wrote:

wrote:

~19:40 UTC on 9.515;

sounds like arabic

At 16:10 CDT I hear what sounds like Chinese at 20db over S9 here in No.
MN.

Identifies as: "WHRI", in SC, USA, on 9515 kHz
now in English at 17:00 CDT

This station has a comprehensive website:
http://www.whri.com
with a search engine that includes fields for language, transmitter
freq, location, etc. I tried a search for 'Arabic' on 'Wednesday',
all other fields "all" and got zilch, however I didn't get anything
for less restrictive searches either so I suspect the site isn't
working quite right (note these are selection boxes rather than
freeform entry fields).

Regards,

Michael

Old October 18th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks..

It also appears when I put the set into USB Mode and try to hear 7.415
up in Monticello, Maine

Old October 18th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

msg wrote:

msg wrote:

wrote:

~19:40 UTC on 9.515;

sounds like arabic

At 16:10 CDT I hear what sounds like Chinese at 20db over S9 here in No.
MN.

Identifies as: "WHRI", in SC, USA, on 9515 kHz
now in English at 17:00 CDT

But prior to that RCI occupies the frequency, at least in North America. WHRI
signs on at 2200.

Old October 18th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

dxAce wrote:
msg wrote:
msg wrote:
wrote:

~19:40 UTC on 9.515;

sounds like arabic

At 16:10 CDT I hear what sounds like Chinese at 20db over S9 here in No.
MN.

Identifies as: "WHRI", in SC, USA, on 9515 kHz
now in English at 17:00 CDT

But prior to that RCI occupies the frequency, at least in North America. WHRI
signs on at 2200.

Thanks. Indeed the schedule as described in:
http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/PDF/A07_SW.pdf (Radio Canada International)
confirms both the Arabic heard at 1940 utc and the Mandarin heard at 2110 utc
on 9515 kHz.

Regards,

Michael

Sounds of digital Bob Liesenfeld Shortwave 18 March 22nd 07 02:11 AM
sounds like teletype Josh Shortwave 19 February 5th 06 07:01 AM
CB Sounds FredTheRed CB 1 October 28th 04 11:04 PM
BPL video/sounds Derek Wills Dx 0 August 7th 03 03:57 AM
Info Needed: Fan Blade Part # for ICOM PS-30 Supply Larry Johnson Swap 0 July 11th 03 07:47 AM