Old January 4th 05, 11:16 PM
Zorpetus

Default ICOM CM-8 battery question

Hi,

Could anyone told me something more about Icom CM-8 battery pack, like
for example:

- voltage (is it 8.4V?)
- capacity (is it 1100 mAh?)
- what is that piece of electronic inside for?
- why it does have 13.8V AND wall charger connector. Could it be
charged both ways?
- why it does have 11 (!?) "strange" cells inside but only (nominal, if
I am right?) 8.4V
- it seems to have thermal and current protection connected in series
with cells (if somebody could confirm this?)

- does anybody, maybe, has a schematic diagram of it?

(I would like to put 7 x NiCd AA cells inside, and I am not sure if
that could be done).

Any info is more than appreciated.

Old January 5th 05, 12:49 AM
larry

Greetings

Before you do anything... is there are printing on the battery pack lable to
indicate the type of battery used.... eg Li-ion...

Larry ve3fxq

oups.com...

Old January 5th 05, 09:23 AM
Zorpetus

Yes, it says NiCd (Nickel-Cadmium).
It is an older battery pack for an older HT - Icom H16 (at that time
Li-ion was Science Fiction :-)

Old January 14th 05, 05:08 AM
Roger Grady

"Zorpetus" wrote:

Hi,

Could anyone told me something more about Icom CM-8 battery pack, like
for example:

The CM-8 is from Icom's commercial line and is equivalent to the BP-8.

- voltage (is it 8.4V?)

Yes.

- capacity (is it 1100 mAh?)

My 1992 vintage reference says 800 mah.

- what is that piece of electronic inside for?

It's the constant-current charge regulator for slow-charging (12-14 hr
charge rate).

- why it does have 13.8V AND wall charger connector. Could it be
charged both ways?

Not sure about that, the Icom wall chargers I have put out nominal
12v., or you can plug any nominal 12v source into the same jack.

- why it does have 11 (!?) "strange" cells inside but only (nominal, if
I am right?) 8.4V

No idea about the number of cells. If it's really an original unit, it
only has 7 cells. Maybe someone has converted it to a higher voltage
with more, smaller capacity cells? Or they're space fillers?

- it seems to have thermal and current protection connected in series
with cells (if somebody could confirm this?)

The pack can be fast charged with the proper drop-in charger. Since
this can generate enough heat to melt things if something goes wrong,
the thermal switch is there to open the circuit if things get too hot.

- does anybody, maybe, has a schematic diagram of it?

Not I. It shouldn't be that hard to draw one out if you're really
interested (I haven't been!).

(I would like to put 7 x NiCd AA cells inside, and I am not sure if
that could be done).

If they fit it can be done :-). I'd think it would be easier to get a
pack that's designed for AA's. Icom's is BP/CM-4, a 6-cell, 7.2v pack.
There are higher voltage AA packs available from third-party vendors.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address