Old January 6th 05, 04:49 AM
Kevin & Natalia

Default Kenwood TM-D700A information HELP, Mermory, TNC, etc

Hi All,

I have just brought a new Kenwood TM-D700A VHF/UHF mobile transceiver, and
learning what it can do.
Very nice piece of gear.

However I have found a few things in it that do not seem to be right,
compared to my other Kenwood radios.
One of the main problems I have, is understanding the operation of the
Memories.
Should mention at this time, I have done the mod to open the TX portion.

1. What I have done is program the first 100 memories with VHF, and second
100 with UHF.
However when I step through the memories on either band, it goes through the
whole 200. So if I am on VHF, it will also show the UHF memories as well.
(The only ones the VHF won't show are those above 1Ghz, as the display won't
go that high, RX only on the UHF side).
The manual does not say anything about this, or that any memory can be
accessed from either band.

2. As for the TNC feature, can anyone suggest a good program to use with the
built-in TNC????

If anyone can help with any information, I'd be grateful, either send it to
this group, or directly to my home e-mail.
If anyone has any information on how to open the 900Mhz blocked portion on
the US model, I'd like to know, this blocked area, is part of our (ZL) band
plan.

Any other comments, ideas would be of interest as well.

BTW, I have checked all the mod sites on the net for the above information,
without any luck.

Regards

Kevin, ZL1KFM.

Old January 6th 05, 05:46 AM
F8BOE

Hello,

For the TM D700, I cannot help you much but for packet radio, you can either
try to use Winpack and play around with it or take a look at:

http://f4dyx.free.fr/

Michel has the command lines to use Kenwood's interal TNCs in KISS mode on
COM1 port on his home page at :

http://f4dyx.free.fr/telechar.php?ch...rique_ID=Paxon
(in one line)

Some hams here use successfully TM D700s and TS2000s with Flex32.

Paxon: http://paxon.de/
Flex32: http://www.afthd.tu-darmstadt.de/~flexnet/
WPP: http://wpp.dc6hb.de/

and the classical: http://www.uspacket.org/

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

Old January 8th 05, 07:01 AM
Doug McLaren

In article ,
Kevin & Natalia wrote:

| 1. What I have done is program the first 100 memories with VHF, and
| second 100 with UHF.

Wow. Are there really that many interesting things around you?

Kenwood's site has a program to download that can program the memories
from your computer. Hopefully you're already using it

| However when I step through the memories on
| either band, it goes through the whole 200. So if I am on VHF, it
| will also show the UHF memories as well. (The only ones the VHF
| won't show are those above 1Ghz, as the display won't go that high,
| RX only on the UHF side).

There's two scanning modes -- scan all non-locked-out memories, or
scan just the local 20 memories -- 0-19,20-39,40-59,etc.

Pressing and holding MR scans all memories.

Pressing and holding the frequency dial in for a second scans only the
20 memories as I mentioned earlier.

If you're just turning the dial or hitting UP or DOWN on the keypad, I
don't think it ever limits itself to just 20 memories. Only when
scanning.

| The manual does not say anything about this, or that any memory can be
| accessed from either band.

Yes, it does. It's not entirely clear, but it _is_ there.

Any memory position can be accessed by either side, but the left side
can't go over 460 mHz or so and the right side can't go under 144 mHz
or so, so if you've got one of these frequencies in one of these
memory positions, it'll just silently skip over it. And if you're
receiving VHF on the right side, you can't listen to either VHF or UHF
(I forget which) on the left side, something like that. (I'm going
from memory here.)

It's very odd how the RX functions all work. I've ended up putting
the left side on the APRS channel, and do everything else on the right
side. This works for most things, but I can't listen to aircraft
radios (118-136 mHz, AM) on the right side. It's sort of
dissappointing, though I guess it's meant as an amateur radio
transceiver, not a scanner.

I don't know if any of this is affected by opening up the RX or TX
ranges.

| 2. As for the TNC feature, can anyone suggest a good program to use with the
| built-in TNC????

Personally I use minicom or kermit for my packet stuff, but I doubt
that's what you're looking for.

| If anyone can help with any information, I'd be grateful, either send it to
| this group, or directly to my home e-mail.
| If anyone has any information on how to open the 900Mhz blocked portion on
| the US model, I'd like to know, this blocked area, is part of our (ZL) band
| plan.

Got me.

Since we're talking about the D700A, another thing that dissappoints
me about the radio is the limited APRS functionality.

Sure, it can broadcast my position every X minutes. How about doing
it more often when I'm going fast, and less often when I'm slow?
(`Smart beaconing', though smart beaconing also takes into account
turning. Even the tinytrak3 can do this.)

How about a display where I can see the other hams near me, rather
than making me scroll through a list of the 30 most recently seen hams
and looking at each info page individually? Sure, I can limit what it
sees to X miles, but that's not the same.

How about telling me when a ham gets within one mile of me?

Ultimately, if you want all this stuff, you need to add a computer
running a full featured APRS program. The stuff that's built in is
very basic -- unnessesarily so, if you ask me. It's too bad that they
don't offer some of this stuff in a firmware upgrade ...

I like my D700A, don't get me wrong. But it's not perfect.

--
Doug McLaren,
I haven't lost my mind -- I know exactly where I left it.