Old December 27th 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] OK - new project

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

OK - new project

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium=emai l

Since Santa didn't bring the Arrow antenna that I wanted in order to try my
hand at the FM satellites (and possibly get more Field Day points this
year), and my homebrew magloop turned out so well - I've decided to try my
hand at another:

http://www.amateurradio.bz/4_dollar_...e_antenna.html

And it comes complete with a video!

Doesn't look too expensive to build and I think we have enough coat hangers
in various places around the house where I wouldn't have to go out and buy
any.

The Arrow antenna is nice and all, but the cost was around $140, if I
remember correctly. That's a lot to pay for something that I just want to
play with from time to time and not be really dedicated to. This will
probably serve me just as well; and I could use whatever $$$ I manage to
save in the future towards more QRP and CW stuff.

And the last benefit ..... there's NOTHING like homebrewing something and
have it work. I know I'm jumping the gun here; but KG0ZZ certainly makes
look "do-able".
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!

Merry Christmas!

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium=em ail

Merry Christmas!

I know, some of you are probably saying, "Wait, what? Christmas is over!"

But it's really not ...... remember the song, "The Twelve Days of
Christmas"? Christmas is more than a day, it IS a season. So don't throw
out or put away those Christmas trees just yet. Enjoy the Season!

I hope Santa was good to you and left a key, radio or some neat accessory
under your tree. I got some shave soap (I wet shave - an electric razor
just tears up my face and especially my neck!), a shirt and that personal
weather station I had been wanting.

It's not a Peet Brothers unit, rather one of the more inexpensive ones. And
that's fine by me. I just want something that I can hook up to
WeatherUnderground and play around with. This will do just fine and I am
grateful for it.

We did not get a white Christmas this year. But it was very windy and cold.
in fact, our daily high temperatures for the next week or so are not to
exceed the high 20s F (-3C). And the NY NJ PA Weather Guy, who I follow on
Twitter, is saying something about the possibility of a major winter storm
for our area next weekend. We shall see.

In the meantime, I hope to get on the air a few evenings this week to see
how the 160 Meter band is doing and to see if I can squeeze out a contact
or two. It's been a long time since I got on the air looking just to chew
the fat for a bit.