Old January 11th 05, 04:10 AM
william hoffman

Default newbeee bought ts2000 (mistake?)

taking test next month (will pass)-sold almost all c.b. equiptment,over 25
years on c.b radio getting tired of all the crap ,have over 2000.00$ to
invest,read the reviews for different transievers (mostaly on eham.net) the
ts-2000 seamed to stand out for the most part ,put a deposet on brand new
rig (can still get my money back)-not to troulble anyone,is this a good
entry level unit for a person who likes to talk skip,and experiment.i have
good radio knolage but not on the ham side-is this to much radio?and if so
what would your advise be.

thank you for taking the time to read and or respond

Old January 11th 05, 05:41 AM
danjr

ts-2000 seamed to stand out for the most part ...
not to troulble anyone,is this a good entry level unit ...

Entry level? No. Great rig? Yes.

What bands will you be using? All of them, or just VHF/UHF? If you are
getting a Technician license, then yes, the rig is probably WAY overkill.
You could still work all-modes on 6m, 2m, and 440, which is fun. And you
could use the HF bands for SWL'ing. If you are going for General, then you
have made a good choice. A lot of bells and whistles on it though. You
could have gone with another great radio for far less money.

a person who likes to talk skip

I would refrain from using CB-esque slang on amateur radio. Instead of
"talkin' skip" perhaps you should refer to it as DX.

Dan

Old January 11th 05, 09:41 AM
mike

danjr wrote:
ts-2000 seamed to stand out for the most part ...
not to troulble anyone,is this a good entry level unit ...

Entry level? No. Great rig? Yes.

What bands will you be using? All of them, or just VHF/UHF? If you are
getting a Technician license, then yes, the rig is probably WAY overkill.
You could still work all-modes on 6m, 2m, and 440, which is fun. And you
could use the HF bands for SWL'ing. If you are going for General, then you
have made a good choice. A lot of bells and whistles on it though. You
could have gone with another great radio for far less money.

a person who likes to talk skip

I would refrain from using CB-esque slang on amateur radio. Instead of
"talkin' skip" perhaps you should refer to it as DX.

Or perhaps we could let people use whatever terms/slang/language they
wish on the public airwaves or public internet.
I happen to like "talkin' skip". The DX is parked in my
driveway...although I sometimes talk skip from the DX.
mike

Dan

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

Old January 11th 05, 10:05 PM
Bob Miller

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:10:09 GMT, "william hoffman"
wrote:

taking test next month (will pass)-sold almost all c.b. equiptment,over 25
years on c.b radio getting tired of all the crap ,have over 2000.00$ to
invest,read the reviews for different transievers (mostaly on eham.net) the
ts-2000 seamed to stand out for the most part ,put a deposet on brand new
rig (can still get my money back)-not to troulble anyone,is this a good
entry level unit for a person who likes to talk skip,and experiment.i have
good radio knolage but not on the ham side-is this to much radio?and if so
what would your advise be.

thank you for taking the time to read and or respond

Depends on what you want to do. If you're only going for a Technician
license, you'll be limited to 6 meters and up. About your only
opportunity for "talking skip" will be 6 meters when it is open, and
that will be increasingly rare as we get lower and lower in the sun
spot cycle. If you're only going to get on the VHF/UHF FM repeaters,
just get an FM dual bander. On the other hand, if you're going for
your General license reasonably soon, the HF part of the 2000 will be
ready and waiting for you.

You could spend about half the money and get an Icom 706 or Yaesu 857;
they have about the same capabilities as the TS-2000, but perhaps not
the refinement and engineering. That might be a better way for a
beginning ham to go, but it's your money.

Most radios, especially those with a paucity of knobs and an excess of
software menus, will be complicated to work, so there's not really a
'beginner's" radio out there -- even my $100 Icom T2-H handy talky is
hell-acious-ly complicated to program and operate.

Have fun!

Bob
k5qwg

Old January 21st 05, 10:57 AM
The Amazing Seismo

"mike" wrote

Or perhaps we could let people use whatever terms/slang/language they wish
on the public airwaves or public internet.
I happen to like "talkin' skip". The DX is parked in my
driveway...although I sometimes talk skip from the DX.
mike

People can speak any way they want to, Mike. But when I am on the air, I
won't talk with newbies that do not make an effort to join the ham culture.

It is okay to make a mistake while talking, it is not okay to keep talking
as though one is still on CB with no intent of changing their behavior.

I too came from CB to ham radio. Before that I was an Air Force radio
dispatcher and involved in commercial radio shortly thereafter. Each field
requires that the operator learn the particular language for the job at
hand.

I suspect that the poster that you were speaking to was merely trying to
help the newbie. Not scold him.

Ed, NM2K

Old January 21st 05, 11:03 AM
The Amazing Seismo

wrote:

[...]

I recommend a 706 in their latest iteration. It is a great little rig, not
too terribly complicated, can always serve as a mobile later on and has
fairly good resale value. It is more than complicated enough for a newbie to
ham radio to tackle. The 2000 can wait a while.

Better yet, buy a used 706 in the most recent model. They can be found at a
substantial savings. Buying the desk mic buys you nothing in sound quality
improvement. The hand mic is very good.

If you pay a fair price for the used 706, chances are you will be able to
get all of your money back until the next upgraded version is introduced.
Assuming there is another upgrade.

Ed Cregger, NM2K