Old June 15th 18, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Desert Camp Conservation Reserve VKFF-1705

vk5pas

Desert Camp Conservation Reserve VKFF-1705

https://vk5pas.org/2018/06/14/desert...rve-vkff-1705/

After packing up at the Aberdour Conservation Park, Marija and I continued
south on the Riddoch Highway.* As it was only just after lunch, and the
weather was holding up nicely, we decided to activate the Desert Camp
Conservation Reserve VKFF-1705.* The park is located about 235 km south
east of Adelaide and about 17 km north west of the town of Padthaway.

This was to be a unique park for both Marija and I as activators in the
WWFF program.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Desert Camp Conservation Reserve in
the south east region of South Australia.* Map courtesy of Location SA Map
Viewer.

The Desert Camp Conservation Reserve is not to be confused the with Desert
Camp Conservation Park.* The reserve is the much larger piece of scrub
located on the eastern side of the Riddoch Highway.* The Desert Camp
Conservation Park is a small section of Scrub to the east of the Riddoch
Highway, on the Rowney Road West.

Desert Camp Conservation Reserve is 882 hectares in size and was proclaimed
on the 11th November 1993.* I have not been able to find out the origin of
the park name, as there is certainly no desert here.
Above:- Aerial view of the Desert Camp Conservation Reserve.* Image
courtesy of google maps

About 248 species of native plants have been recorded in the park.* Of
these, 17 are considered rare or threatened in the south east, and 10 are
either threatened or rare in South Australia.* One species, the Metalic
sun-orchid is considered endangered nationally.

The park comprises Brown stringybark Low Woodland; Pink gum Woodland over a
Mixed Heath; Pink gum Low Woodland over a desert banksia, heath yacca and
heath tree; Open South Australian Blue Gum; Dwarf hakea, dwarf sheoak,
honey myrtle; Coastal white mallee; Broombush, silver broombush Open Heath;
and Mixed Herbland.

The reserve is recorded as being “the largest block of remnant vegetation
in the Hundred of Marcollat” and which “accounts for over half of the
remaining native vegetation in blocks greater than 25 hectares in that
Hundred.”* It is surrounded by cleared farming land.
Above:- Cleared farming land to the east of the park.

Birds SA have recorded a total of 93 native birds in the park including
Peaceful Dove, Galah, Australian Magpie, Superb Fairywren, New Holland
Honeyeater, Red Wattlebird,*Buff-rumped Thornbill, Southern Emuwren, Grey
Butcherbird, White-winged Triller, and Eastern Yellow Robin.

I snapped the photo below of a Whistling Kite, which was perched up high in
a tree in the park.* He/she kindly sat there allowing me to snap off some
shots.

The park is easily located, just to the south of the intersection of the
Riddoch Highway and Rowney Road.* The park is well signposted.

We continued south on Riddoch Highway, passing Rowney Road and followed a
4WD track into the park, which followed a fenceline.

We drove a few hundred metres along the track and found a clearing which
allowed us to set up the 20/40/80m linked dipole.* As the weather was a
little inclement, we rolled out the awning on the Toyota Hi Lux and sat
underneath that in the deck chairs.
Above:- Aerial view showing the Desert Camp Conservaiton Reserve, showing
our operating spot.* The dark green area is the adjacent Desert Camp
Conservation Park.* Image courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

Marija started off the activation, calling CQ on 7.139 after I had placed a
spot up on the WWFF Australia Facebook page and on parksnpeaks.* Gerard
VK2IO/p was first in the log, with a Park to Park contact into the*Booti
Booti National Park VKFF-0046.* Next in the log was Brett VK2VW, followed
by John VK4TJ.* Within 10 minutes Marija had qualified the park for VKFF,
with 10 contacts in the log.* Contact number 10 was with Greg VK4VXX/5.

We then swapped the mic and I called CQ on 7.139.* Peter VK3PF was first in
the log, followed by Cliff VK2NP and then Andrew VK7DW.* Six minutes later
I had contact number 10 in the log, with a QSO with Glenn VK4FARR.* After
working Glenn, both Marija and I logged Neil VK4HNS/p who was activating
the*Conway National Park VKFF-0110.* This was followed by another Park to
Park contact, this time with David VK5HYZ/p in the*Ikara-Flinders Ranges
National Park VKFF-0176.

I kept calling CQ on 7.139 and had a steady flow of callers from all across
Australia.* This included another Park to Park, this time with Bill VK4FW/p
in the*Goat Island Conservation Park VKFF-1549.* I ended up logging a total
of 52 stations on 40m from VK1, VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK7 and New Zealand.*
It was nice as always to log Andre ZL1TM who has become a regular VKFF
Hunter.* I was also pleased to work Geoff VK3MCM who had only been on air
for around 2 weeks and I was his 4th contact.* Welcome to the hobby Geoff.

We then lowered the squid pole and inserted the 80m links and headed to
3.610.* *I called CQ and this was answered by Rob VK3FKL who had followed
me down from 40m.* Conditions on 80m were brilliant, with absolutely no
noise.* I logged 11 stations on 80m from VK2, VK3, VK5 and VK7.

To complete the activation I called CQ on 14.310 on the 20m band, but sadly
only logged 1 station there, Cliff VK2NP.

It was time to pack up and head off to Mount Gambier.**Desert Camp was
another successful activation, with a total of 76 contacts between the 2 of
us, including 7 Park to Park contacts.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK2IO/p (Booti Booti National Park VKFF-0046)
VK2VW
VK4TJ
VK3SQ
VK3HOT
VK4CZ
VK3PF
VK7DW
VK2KYO
VK4VXX/5
VK4HNS/p (Conway National Park VKFF-0110)
VK5HYZ/p (VKFF-0176)

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK2IO/p (Booti Booti National Park VKFF-0046)
VK3PF
VK2NP
VK7DW
VK4CZ
VK2KYO
VK4VXX/5
VK7ME
VK3SQ
VK4FARR
VK4HNS/p (Conway National Park VKFF-0110)
VK5HYZ/p (Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park VKFF-0176)
VK2FOUZ
VK3GGG/p
VK3PMG/p
VK3ANL
VK2HHA
VK2STO/p
VK2SMS/p
VK3OHM
VK2GKA
VK3FKAR
VK3FNQS
VK3VHF
VK3VFO
VK4FE
VK3MCM
VK3ZZS/7
VK2QK
VK4FW/p (Goat Island Conservation Park VKFF-1549)
VK4FDJL
VK2ARL
VK2VOO
VK5WG
VK2WE
VK3ANP
VK3ATO
VK5KLV
VK1AT
VK3ZIG/m
VK7FRJG
VK3FLJD
VK2LEE
VK3ZMD
VK5CZ
VK4TJ
VK2WR
VK2KDP/m
VK3FKL
VK7TZ
ZL1TM

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK3FKL
VK5MRE
VK5PL
VK4AAC/5
VK3SQ
VK3PF
VK5CZ
VK7TZ
VK3PAT
VK2HHA
VK5BJE

I worked the following station on 20m SSB:-

VK2NP

We had missed the predicted wet weather, but that did not last.* We had
timed our activations well, as not long after getting mobile, the heavens
really opened up.* We arrived at Mount Gambier at around 5.00 p.m. and
booked into our accomodation, the Motel Mount Gambier.* After freshening up
we headed out for tea at the Mount Gambier Hotel.