Old January 29th 19, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] Does this bother anyone else?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Does this bother anyone else?

Two recent ARRL news stories caught my eye:

Dwayne Allen, WY7FD, Resigns as Rocky Mountain Division Director
John Robert Stratton, N5AUS, is New ARRL West Gulf Division Director

Its kind of odd that the headlines seem to say two different things, but
the upshot is that two division directors resigned their positions and the
vice directors then moved up to director. This seems to be a very common
occurrence on the ARRL board. My own division director, Dale Williams,
WA8EFK, was also promoted to director when Jim Weaver, K8JE (SK) resigned
in 2014.

Im notÂ* questioning the directors motives for resigning, nor am I
questioning the fitness of the vice directors to serve in these two cases,
but the frequency with which this occurs, seems a bit shady to me. In this
case, the directorships of the Rocky Mountain Division and West Gulf
Division are both up for election this year, and these resignations allow
the newly-promoted vice directors to run as incumbents. That just doesnt
seem right to me.

I know its an expense, but it would certainly be more democratic if a
special election were held to fill a directors seat upon a resignation. It
might be worth it to head off any charges of favoritism or cronyism.

The post Does this bother anyone else? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.

The Silent Key Scholarship Fund

Roger, W8ZRF, SK

Over the span of less than a year, ARROW, our amateur radio club, has lost
two of its long-time members: Clay, W8JNZ, and Roger, W8ZRF. Clay passed in
December 2017, Roger in October 2018. These guys headed up our first VE
team, were great hams, and great human beings.

When Clay died, I got it into my head that I wanted to start a scholarship
in his name. He was always ready to help young people get started in the
hobby. I contacted the local community college and got in touch with a
fellow who headed up their foundation, who explained to me all the ins and
outs of doing this.

Alas, it proved to be more work that I thought originally, and I put it on
the back burner. When Roger passed a couple of months ago, I decided to
give it another try. As a way to get us started, Rogers family agreed to
donate his equipment, which we are now in the process of selling, with the
proceeds going to the scholarship fund. Roger didnt have a lot of modern
gear, but even so, Im estimating that well net over $1,000 by the time were
through selling his stuff.

I think that our club is good for probably another $1,000, but after that,
Im not really sure how to go about raising the rest of the money. I had
thought about setting up a GoFundMe, but have never really done that
before. I had thought about writing a grant proposal for part of the
funding. Clay was a vice president of DTE, our local electrical utility,
and they have a foundation that awards grants to various charitable
organizations. Im not sure that this scholarship fund is something that
theyd be willing to donate to.

If any of you have ever done something like this, or if your club has
funded a scholarship like this, Id like to hear from you. I need all the
help I can get here.

The post The Silent Key Scholarship Fund appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.

why bother upgrading radioguy Scanner 2 June 3rd 11 12:04 PM
test... don't bother reading Lynn Coffelt Boatanchors 0 February 1st 06 07:39 AM
*** SHORTWAVE IS DEAD WHY BOTHER????? scott Shortwave 42 July 18th 05 02:26 AM
Test -Do not bother to read [email protected] General 0 December 5th 04 01:35 AM
test. Don't bother to read Dan/W4NTI Policy 2 September 9th 03 04:03 AM