Old April 30th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve VKFF-2887

vk5pas

Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve VKFF-2887

https://vk5pas.org/2019/04/29/kersbr...rve-vkff-2887/

After packing up at Mount Gawler I headed to the Kersbrook Native Forest
Reserve VKFF-2887.Â* This would be another first-time activation of this
particular park.Â* The park is located about 8 km north of the town of
Kersbrook and about 37 km north east of the city of Adelaide.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve.Â*
Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

The Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve is 842 hectares in size and comprises a
parcel of scrub representative of the original vegetation of the Southern
Mount Lofty Ranges.

The park is part of a large area of native forest which extends southward
from the South Para Reservoir about 5 km south-west of Williamstown in the
southern part of the Barossa Vallet.Â* The forest area is referred to as Old
Kersbrook.Â* The park is surrounded by private land holdings.Â* The Para
Wirra Recreation Park and Humbug Scrub private sanctuary adjoins the west
side of Kersbrook NFR.
Above:- Map of the Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve.Â* Map courtesy of
Forestry SA.

The devastating January 2015 Sampson Flat bushfire burnt out most of the
Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve, stopping in the north of the park at the
Castle yard Track.

The Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve is one of 15 NFRs in the Mount Lofty
Ranges.Â* The reserve is dominated by Long-leaf Box and Pink Gum, over a
diverse shrub and understorey of native plants.Â* Two species of nationally
endangered native orchid occur here.
Above:- An aerial shot of the Kersbrook Native Forest Reserve, looking
north towards the famous wine growing region of the Barossa Valley.Â* Image
courtesy of google maps.

I headed north on the Kersbrook Road and soon saw a significant plume of
smoke off in the distance.Â* It appeared to be very close to where I wanted
to go.Â* A check of the Country Fire Service website failed to reveal any
active fires, so I presume it was a controlled burn.
Above:- Looking north from the Kersbrook Road.

It was a bit of a challenge to get into the reserve.Â* I had studied the
maps prior to leaving home and it appeared that this may have been a walk
in.Â* My GPS first took me down Sheoak Road which was meant to run into
Ridge Road.Â* However, Sheoak Road was a no through road.

So I turned around and headed back out onto the Kersbrook Road, travelling
south.Â* The GPS then took me into another track which turned out to be a
dead end.Â* Things were not looking good.Â* It was time to study the map
again.

I decided to head north along Bassnet Road which took me into the little
locality of Humbug Scrub which was severely impacted by the Sampson Flat
bushfire.Â* During the 1800s, German settlers on their way to the Barossa
Valley called this area Hamburg Scrub.Â* English speaking locals re-named it
Humbug Scrub because the bushland was considered to be very deceptive and
incomprehensively embarrassing with people often getting lost in the scrub.

There is a bus shelter here which tells the history of the Humbug Scrub
area.Â* The bus shelter was built in the 1970s.Â* At school drop off and pick
up times the bus shelter became a popular meeting place for parents.Â* In
the aftermath of the Sampson Flat bushfire, the bus shelter once again
became a popular meeting place for local residents, despite the fact that
it had been damaged by fire.Â* It was subsequently redesigned and
information boards were placed at the shelter.

I continued north on Bassnet Road which soon led into Humbug Scrub Road.Â*
It was not looking good for access points into the park.Â* But upon reaching
the corner of Humbug Scrub Road and Bassnet Road I saw a sign for the
park.Â* It was a welcome sight.

There were some beautiful views here of the reserve and the adjacent pine
forests and hills.

Sadly, there was a lot of rubbish dumped here which did not seem to be
attracting the attention of the authorities with respect to clean up.

As I was offloading my gear a Foresty SA vehicle pulled up and I explained
what I was doing.Â* He seemed fine and discussed an old radio he previously
had which he listened to overseas broadcast stations on.Â* I also confirmed
that the smoke was from a controlled burn off.

After setting up on Cattleyard Track, I headed to 7.144 where I found Helen
VK7FOLK/p and Jonathan VK7JON/p activating the Stanley Conservation Area
VKFF-2919 in Tasmania.Â* I logged both Helen and Jonathan, and then headed
down the band to 7.139.Â* I asked if the frequency was in use and Peter
VK3PF came back to advise the frequency was clear.

After logging Peter, I called CQ and Deryck VK4FDL responded, followed by
Peter VK3ZPF and then Damien VK3FRAB.Â* A flurry of callers followed, and it
took me just 6 minutes to get contact number 10 in the log, a QSO with
Cliff VK2NP.Â* I had qualified the park for VKFF.Â* Contact number 11 was
another Park to Park, this time with Mike VK6MB/3 who was activating the
Chiltern-Mount Pilot National Park VKFF-0620.

It took me just 24 minutes to qualify the park for the global WWFF program
with 44 contacts.Â* I logged a total of 56 stations on 40m from VK1, VK2,
VK3, VK4, VK7, New Zealand and Spain.Â* This included a Park to Park with
Neil VK4HNS/p who was in the Main Range National Park VKFF-0300, a contact
with Peter VK3YE/p who was pedestrian mobile on the beach at Chelsea, and a
contact with Deme EA5IPC in Spain which was a big surprise.

I then decided to try my luck with some DX on 20m.Â* I headed to 14.310 and
found Greg VK4VXX/6 calling CQ from Stokes National Park VKFF-0468.Â* I then
moved down to 14.305 and started calling CQ.Â* Murray VK4MWB came back to my
call, followed by Glenn VK2WGW, and then Giancarlo IZ1AWC in Italy with a
good strong 5/9 signal.Â* I logged a further seven stations on 20m including
IZ8DFO in Italy and UT5PI in Ukraine.

One sad point of this activation was the response I received from an
amateur on 14.307.Â* I had been operating on 14.305 for 15 minutes when some
German speaking stations came up on 14.307, just 2 kc above me.Â* It was
clear that one was from Australia, as he was very strong.Â* I went up to
14.307 and asked politely if they would QSY a little bit away from me.Â* I
was ignored.Â* I asked again and was told by the Australian station we have
used this frequency for 30 years.Â* I informed this gentleman that he did
not own the frequency and again asked if they would mind QSYing.Â* Sadly
they ignored me, and I decided not to push the issue and I headed to 80m.Â*
So I apologise in advance to anyone who may have been calling me.

I then called CQ on 3.610 on the 80m band and this was answered by Adrian
VK5FANA on the Yorke Peninsula with a big signal.Â* I logged a further 6
stations from VK1, VK3, & VK5, including my wife Marija VK5FMAZ.

To conclude the activation I moved back to 40m where I logged a further 9
stations, including a Park to Park with Greg VK4VXX/6 in VKFF-0468.

I now had 84 contacts in the log, including 6 Park to Park contacts, and
the temperature had dropped to 12 deg C.Â* It was getting cold and dark and
it was time to pack up and head home.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK7JON/p (Stanley Conservation Area VKFF-2919)
VK7FOLK/p (Stanley Conservation Area VKFF-2919)
VK3PF
VK4FDJL
VK3ZPF
VK3FRAB
VK2LX
VK4RF
VK4HA
VK2NP
VK6MB/3 (Chiltern-Mount Pilot National Park VKFF-0620)
VK3SQ
VK3DBP
VK4SMA
VK4AAC/3
VK2VH/3
VK3NCC/m
VK3BSG
VK3DAC
VK4CZ
VK7DW
ZL1TM
VK4FARR
VK7ME
VK3ZE
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK3LTL
VK2HHA
VK2IO/m
VK4HNS/p (Main Range National Park VKFF-0300)
VK3AHR
VK2PKT
VK3FPSR
VK3ARH
VK2YK
VK3ANL
EA5IPC
VK3UH
VK1CT
VK2JXA
VK3TKK/m
VK2MG
VK3YE//p (pedestrian mobile)
VK2YE
VK3FBAA
VK4MWB
VK2FRKA
VK3BHR
VK3PI
VK3MCK
VK4BX
VK3UCD
VK2JAZ
VK2VW
VK1TX
VK3MPR
VK3GB
VK4TJ
VK5WU
VK3ATO
VK2UH
VK3BCM
VK4VXX/6 (Stokes National Park VKFF-0468)

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK4VXX/6 (Stokes National Park VKFF-0468)
VK4MWB
VK2WGW
IZ1AWC
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK4BX
VK4TJ
IZ8DFO
UT5PI

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5FANA
VK3BSG
VK5FMAZ
VK5FLEA