Old February 8th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Lafayette Atom Smasher

On Thursday, May 1, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Perry Locke wrote:
While this is not a RADIO, it is the type of toy that amateurs
would, and probably have, enjoyed.

I have an 'Atom Smasher' that I got for christmas when I was about 10
(that was about 35 years ago). It is a 10" Van de Graf generator that
was sold by Lafayette Electronics in the early sixties. I am interested
in hearing from anyone who has owned or does own one.

The one I have still works great. But I need a new rubber belt for it. I
tried a 5/8" x 7" pale crepe rubber band, but it is too long...I have to
elevate the tube by hand to place enough tension on the belt to
get the motor to drive it. Anyone know where I can find a 5/8"
x 5" pale crepe rubber band to try?

Perry
KE6IPV

Would you be interested in selling the one you have as is

Tom