Old April 14th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] Got my NanoVNA!

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Got my NanoVNA!

After waiting more than a week, my NanoVNA arrived yesterday! Its a
NanoVNAH4 from R&L Electronics. With shipping, it cost me $67.80.

I havent really had a chance to do anything with it yet, but so far, Im
pretty impressed. It came in a nice box, and included the following
accessories:

USB Type-C data cable
2 15cm SMA male to male RG316RF cable
SMA male calibration kit OPEN, SHORT, LOAD
SMA female to female connector
Type-c to Type-c cable

It does not come with SMA UHF or SMA BNC adapters. I just happen to have
an SMA-UHF adapter, but I wish Id also purchased an SMA BNC adapter. If
you plan on purchasing this unit, you might want to consider what kind of
adapters youll need and get them at the same time.

It does not come with a user manual, which is par for the course these
days, but it did have a sheet showing how to navigate the menu system,
which allowed me to play around with it. This morning, after a bit of
googling, I found the github repository and the user guide.

As I say, I havent had a chance to put it through its paces, but I did put
the LOAD, which is a 50 Ω load, and read a pretty flat 1:1 SWR from 50 kHz
1.5 GHz.

One of the big complaints about the NanVNA has been the small screen. Not
only is the small screen hard to read, the on-screen menu buttons are
practically useless for most users who have big fingers. Thats why I paid
extra for the larger screen. With reading glasses, I found the 4-in. screen
relatively easy to read, and since I have relatively small fingers, I am
actually able to navigate the menus using the on-screen buttons.

Next, Im going to connect it to my 2m/70cm j-pole and see what kind of
frequency response it has. After that, Ill probably check out some bandpass
filters.

If you already have a NanoVNA, what have you used it for? What gotchas
should I be aware of?

The post Got my NanoVNA! appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.