Old June 24th 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] Securing PowerPole connectors

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Securing PowerPole connectors

PowerPoles have become ubiquitous in amateur radio stations.

In preparation for this years Field Day, I made a bunch of cables with
PowerPole connectors to connect the solar panel, charge controller and
batteries. Im sure that Im not the only one doing this.

Normally, I dont bother trying to secure the two halves together. You can
buy a little roll pin to insert between the red and black housing that
prevents them from coming apart, but some folks complain that the pin has a
tendency to fall out, defeating the purpose.

This morning, though, in the daily digest that I receive from the
Elecraft-KX mailing list, there was a link to the thread,Â*Securing Anderson
Power Poles. I liked some of the suggestions so much, I decided to
summarize them he

Dan W7UP: See QST Hints & Kinks Tie Your Powerpoles Jan 2012, page 64
Rudy K8SWD: Anderson has little plastic doohickeys (technical term) that
fit into the holes where the roll pin goes that holds the connection
together. I have one that either came from Elecraft or with my solar
panel-can’t remember…but it works well. Powerworx has them. You can also
thermal bond with a soldering iron like you are making little welds on both
sides. Permanent (mostly) but it works better than the roll pins. Just
clean the tip really good before soldering!
Joe Street: A small cable tie also works but is not as planet friendly.
Dave K0CDA: [Anderson] also make connectors that are thermally bonded
together in pairs.Â* They do NOT come apart.
Don W3FPR: I use a drop of Super Glue on the junction of the plastic
pieces. Warning that glue grabs quickly, so slide the 2 pieces onlyl
enough to start the assembly, then apply the drop of glue and quickly
finish sliding them together. I have never had ones prepared like that come
apart, and I dont use roll pins. I will say one more thing use only the
genuine APPs. I have seen some knockoffs that do not mate well.
Dave AE7FD: There are clips that lock PowerPoles together. See
https://powerwerx.com/powerpole-conn...retention-clip.
Greg KC9NRO: Take a hot soldering iron. Wipe the tip with sponge. Run the
tip down both side of APP bonding the black and red sides together. Clean
soldering iron tip and apply some solder to tip. That’s how I roll. Never
comes apart
Mike AI4NS: PVC cement will soften the plastic enough to bond them
together. You can also get plastic welding rods, such as Daindy Plastic
Welding Rods. Chuck a rod in a Dremel and weld them together. I have made
plastic boxes and panels using this method.
Jack WD4E: Snip the cotton end off a Q-tip, cutting at an angle.Â* Insert
into hole made for roll pin, cut off excess, save remainder of Q-tip for
next requirement.
Troy K4JDA: 2.5mm screws work well, stay in, and are easily removable.

I think these are all great suggestions. I think that Im going to try the
cotton swab method. While reading them, another thought occurred to me. I
havent tried this yet, but Im thinking a little drop of hot glue on the
roll-pin hole might work, too.

The post Securing PowerPole connectors appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.