Old May 4th 21, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] From Nuts and Volts: How old is old enough?, repairing circuit boards

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

From Nuts and Volts: How old is old enough?, repairing circuit boards

Every week, I get an email from Nuts and Volts, one of the few electronics
magazines still around. It contains links to articles on their website, and
theres almost always something that I want to read. Here are a couple of
articles from recent issues that you might want to read.Dan

How old is old enough?

This is a question we almost all have faced. How young is too young to get
a kid interested in electronics. Of course, it depends on the kid, but the
author says that even 8 or 9 years old is old enough:

If you’re looking to introduce electronics to an eight or nine year old,
I’m a big fan of the Snap Circuits series which is sort of like LEGOs with
embedded components. The entry-level model is around $30 from Amazon. With
color-coded LEGO-like components, you and your youngster can build over a
hundred different circuits — from a water alarm to a timer.

I started playing around with stuff when I was about 10 or 11, with some
guidance from my dad, who built a couple of hi-fi kits, and a raft of
Popular Electronics and Electronics Illustrated magazines.

Repairing circuit boards

Repairing the complex circuit boards in our transceivers may be beyond the
skills of most hams, but theres still an awful lot of electronics that we
use on a regular basis that is fixable. This article explains how to do
that.

For example, the author points out that performing a visual inspection
should be your first step:

Visual inspection is an essential first step in troubleshooting.Â*Check for
loose connectors or components in sockets, which can often get dislodged in
shipping. Look for burned or damaged parts, or solder bridges causing a
short circuit of signal or power lines.

You might be surprised at how many problems you will find by just looking!

Im a big proponent of trying to fix something before just tossing it.Â*
Youll learn something by doing so, and if you can fix whatever it is youre
trying to fix, youll save money in the process, too.

The post From Nuts and Volts: How old is old enough?, repairing circuit
boards appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.