Old May 10th 21, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] Giving a helping hand

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Giving a helping hand

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

First off, I don't know if I have any YL readers who are also Moms; but if
I do - Happy Mother's Day to you! Enjoy your day - I don't know what we'd
do without you.
Secondly, sometimes the best Amateur Radio activities are not performed on
the air. Yesterday, I had the chance to help a Ham get back on the air. Our
SPARC Club President, Bill W2AOF, has been a Ham for a long time, as you
can tell by his call. He recently got back into the hobby a few years ago
after a long hiatus.
He had put up an economy vertical on the roof for his HF rig, which is an
Elecraft KX3. Unfortunately, he wasn't hearing much. At our get-together
for World Amateur Radio Day, Bill was impressed by the 40M End Fed Halfwave
that was being used by one of the stations. He was able to hear signals on
his radio that he hadn't been able to at home.
As a result, Bill ordered a G5RV which arrived on Friday. He texted me
yesterday, asking if I would bring my antenna launcher over to his house
The weather wasn't the greatest, heavy over cast with bouts of drizzle, but
as they say ...... perfect antenna weather!
Bill has very tall pine tree on one edge of his property. On the first try,
we did not charge up the air tank with enough pressure and only got the
line up about 30 feet or so, nowhere near satisfactory. On the second try,
I was able to get a line into the branches at about the 50 foot level. The
tricky part of course, is getting the projectile, or "bullet" as I call it,
to come down to street level. Many times, it will get caught up in branches
on the way down, necessitating another try. Luck was with us this time.
One end of the G5RV went into the tree and then we shot another line from
the back of the house to the front of the house, so we could pull the rest
of the antenna into the backyard. Bill had the remnants of a clothes line
pole in the corner with the rope pulley still on it. This was to be the
other anchor end. In effect the antenna would become a sloper.
Much to our dismay, while pulling the antenna into the backyard, the wire
got hung up on the corner of Bill's chimney. As a result, he had to get up
on the roof to free the wire. Luckily, Bill owns a one story ranch, and it
was not a chore that he was unaccustomed to. While he was up there, Bill
took the coax from the vertical and hooked it up to the feedline for the
G5RV. With the antenna now free, we got the other end into the backyard for
the final part of the installation
At this point, Bill thanked me and I headed home. A little while later, I
got texts letting me know that successful QSOs had been made with Serbia,
Spain and Croatia - all with 5 Watts!. Bill is on his way to DXCC and I
had the satisfaction of knowing that I had helped someone get back on the
air. How cool is that?
73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

[W2LJ] Giving a helping hand W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Dx 0 May 10th 21 06:51 AM
[WRC] Helping with the Fun Run WRC via rec.radio.info Admin Info 0 June 26th 16 06:26 PM
OT A Helping Hand !!!! Burr Shortwave 3 November 11th 07 11:02 PM
Todd out helping Santa? Willard General 0 December 25th 06 03:46 AM
Helping hand AB8MQ Policy 1 October 9th 05 03:06 PM