Old March 15th 05, 10:23 PM
Joshua G Senecal

Default Ten Tec 238 Tuner indicator problems - restring?

Hi All,

We have a Ten Tec 238 Tuner, and we're having some problems with the
display/indicator for the roller inductor. To be specific, the indicator
is out of adjustment. When I crank the inductor CW the indicator moves to
the right, but after going about 1/3 of the way it reverses direction and
moves back to the left! When I crank the inductor CCW the indicator moves
to the left and stops when it reaches the edge, but there's still more
turns left on the inductor.

I'm guessing that we're going to have to open it up and either
replace/readjust something. I know nothing about this tuner, and have no
idea as to what I'm going to require, nor how to go about it.

I did some searching (Google etc.) but was unable to find anything
helpful.

Any hints/advice?

Thanks!

-Josh Senecal, AE6IQ

--

Remove the reversed "nospam" in the address.
Old March 16th 05, 12:41 PM
Edward A. Feustel

"Joshua G Senecal" wrote in message
avis.edu...
[...]

John,
This has been covered on the TenTec mail list. at contesting.com. I am not
certain whether they maintain an acrchive or not. This is one of the reasons
that Ten Tec has changed their design to
do away with the string dial in the B model.

You might also write to Service at tentec.com and I'll bet they would send
you instructions on what to do.
Ed, N5EI

Old March 16th 05, 01:27 PM
QRM

[...]

It's a cheap slide rule dial. These things have been around forever. Not
much more than a string and a spring. Take the cover off and at least try
to fix it. Mine just slipped off the drive shaft and took less time to
repair than you took typing your question. If you get stuck, call or email
the factory. It's a horrible design and they all slip eventually. The
service manager can talk you through the repair in his sleep.