RadioBanter

-   -   Am I the only one that does'nt like LCD screen ham radios? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/67574-am-i-only-one-doesnt-like-lcd-screen-ham-radios.html)

Odd Ball March 24th 05 03:35 PM

Am I the only one that does'nt like LCD screen ham radios?

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

Dick March 24th 05 03:57 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:35:45 GMT, (Odd Ball)
wrote:

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

Fortunately, there are plenty of radios available to meet your
criteria. Should be able to pick up a Johnson Viking II and a
Hallicrafters SX-100 on Ebay. Lots of knobs and real meters.

Dick - W6CCD

Michael A. Terrell March 24th 05 04:02 PM

Odd Ball wrote:

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

If I'm going to run a piece of equipment from a computer I'd rather
do it from a real computer and not even see the other parts of the
system.

I worked on a $80,000 telemetry receiving system that ran under
Embedded Windows NT. A real pain in the ass to install the software and
set the radios up on the production floor.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Buck March 24th 05 04:35 PM

wrote:

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

I don't mind the computer displays, but I don't like having to follow
a menu several levels deep to set the controls I should be able to set
with the knobs. On the Icom 706, my biggest gripe is not being able
to set the display light level without having to turn off the rig
twice.

On the 706, i would much rather the Initial Set menu only set defaults
that will reset when I turn the rig off, but allow all the options be
available while the rig is turned on, if I want to change them.
Occasionally, I want to turn up the display light for a short while.
It makes no sense to me that I have to turn the rig off to turn the
light up so I can read the dial.

--
73 for now
Buck

Allodoxaphobia March 24th 05 04:53 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:02:54 GMT, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Odd Ball wrote:

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

If I'm going to run a piece of equipment from a computer I'd rather
do it from a real computer and not even see the other parts of the
system.

The highway patrol is gonna frown on that 17" monitor up on the dashboard.

HI!HI!

73
Jonesy

Michael A. Terrell March 24th 05 08:16 PM

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:02:54 GMT, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If I'm going to run a piece of equipment from a computer I'd rather
do it from a real computer and not even see the other parts of the
system.

The highway patrol is gonna frown on that 17" monitor up on the dashboard.

HI!HI!

73
Jonesy

Who has time to operate mobile when there are so many retired crazies
on the road around here? :(

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Michael A. Terrell March 25th 05 04:39 AM

John Franklin wrote:

Get a Collins KWM-2....................... THEY have meters and
knobs..........and TUBES TOO!

No thanks, the last transmitter I took care of was a 130 KW Comark
UHF TV transmitter with the antenna on a 1749 foot tower and it had a 5
MW ERP from Orange City, Florida. I prefer working on high end
receivers and their design problems but I had to leave the business due
to health problems. This was my last project:
http://www.l-3com.com/te/PDF/Microdyne/RCB-2000.pdf I worked as an
engineering tech to help move it from hand built prototypes to the
production floor.
It sold for about $80,000 when I left Microdyne.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Buck March 25th 05 05:49 AM

Curious;
Where would you want the dimmer control to be located on your ideal 706?
If you say as another layer to some menu function, well, that's where it
is now, and even the unit powers down during the process, the eeprom is
non-volatile so nothing is lost, or is it the slight pop you hear in the
speaker when powering down?
Like I say, just curious, I like mine a lot, but it's still new, and
maybe time will jade my fondness. g

I would like it to be in the menus while in operation. I know it
would add depth to the menu, but i find it ridiculous that I have to
turn the rig off when I want a brightener display or not. I usually
leave it on dim but there are times I prefer the display light off and
then on when I want to use it. and back off again. However, i
recently ran across a situation where I wanted to brighten it for a
short while. If I am in QSO, I don't want to turn the rig off and on
again. I can't hear very well with the receiver turned off.

--
73 for now
Buck

Buck March 25th 05 05:49 AM

Curious;
Where would you want the dimmer control to be located on your ideal 706?
If you say as another layer to some menu function, well, that's where it
is now, and even the unit powers down during the process, the eeprom is
non-volatile so nothing is lost, or is it the slight pop you hear in the
speaker when powering down?
Like I say, just curious, I like mine a lot, but it's still new, and
maybe time will jade my fondness. g

PS I have the MK II, not G version.

--
73 for now