Old March 24th 05, 03:35 PM
Odd Ball

Default Am I the only one that does'nt like LCD screen ham radios?

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

Old March 24th 05, 04:02 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Odd Ball wrote:

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

-OB

If I'm going to run a piece of equipment from a computer I'd rather
do it from a real computer and not even see the other parts of the
system.

I worked on a $80,000 telemetry receiving system that ran under
Embedded Windows NT. A real pain in the ass to install the software and
set the radios up on the production floor.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 24th 05, 04:53 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:02:54 GMT, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Odd Ball wrote:

I just finished looking at the Tentec Orion, and I thought it was
ugly. I did not care for the Icom computer screen radios, or the
Kenwood orange LCD screen radios either. I want real knobs to turn,
real buttons to push, and a real analog meter to look at.
I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I don't want to look
at another computer screen when I get home and turn on my ham radio.
Am I the only one that thinks a radio should look like a radio, and
not an over sized Palm Pilot with a mic jack and a coax connector?

If I'm going to run a piece of equipment from a computer I'd rather
do it from a real computer and not even see the other parts of the
system.

The highway patrol is gonna frown on that 17" monitor up on the dashboard.

HI!HI!

73
Jonesy

Old March 24th 05, 08:16 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:02:54 GMT, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If I'm going to run a piece of equipment from a computer I'd rather
do it from a real computer and not even see the other parts of the
system.

The highway patrol is gonna frown on that 17" monitor up on the dashboard.

HI!HI!

73
Jonesy

Who has time to operate mobile when there are so many retired crazies
on the road around here?

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 25th 05, 02:44 AM
John Franklin

Get a Collins KWM-2....................... THEY have meters and
knobs..........and TUBES TOO!

Old March 25th 05, 04:39 AM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

Get a Collins KWM-2....................... THEY have meters and
knobs..........and TUBES TOO!

No thanks, the last transmitter I took care of was a 130 KW Comark
UHF TV transmitter with the antenna on a 1749 foot tower and it had a 5
MW ERP from Orange City, Florida. I prefer working on high end
receivers and their design problems but I had to leave the business due
to health problems. This was my last project:
http://www.l-3com.com/te/PDF/Microdyne/RCB-2000.pdf I worked as an
engineering tech to help move it from hand built prototypes to the
production floor.
It sold for about $80,000 when I left Microdyne.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 25th 05, 05:49 AM
Buck

Curious;
Where would you want the dimmer control to be located on your ideal 706?
If you say as another layer to some menu function, well, that's where it
is now, and even the unit powers down during the process, the eeprom is
non-volatile so nothing is lost, or is it the slight pop you hear in the
speaker when powering down?
Like I say, just curious, I like mine a lot, but it's still new, and
maybe time will jade my fondness. g

I would like it to be in the menus while in operation. I know it
would add depth to the menu, but i find it ridiculous that I have to
turn the rig off when I want a brightener display or not. I usually
leave it on dim but there are times I prefer the display light off and
then on when I want to use it. and back off again. However, i
recently ran across a situation where I wanted to brighten it for a
short while. If I am in QSO, I don't want to turn the rig off and on
again. I can't hear very well with the receiver turned off.

--
73 for now
Buck
Old March 25th 05, 05:49 AM
Buck

Curious;
Where would you want the dimmer control to be located on your ideal 706?
If you say as another layer to some menu function, well, that's where it
is now, and even the unit powers down during the process, the eeprom is
non-volatile so nothing is lost, or is it the slight pop you hear in the
speaker when powering down?
Like I say, just curious, I like mine a lot, but it's still new, and
maybe time will jade my fondness. g

PS I have the MK II, not G version.

--
73 for now