Old March 25th 05, 02:30 AM
Bruce W.1

Default Yaesu VX-2R memory and battery question

I had a few hundred frequencies stored in the memory of my Yaesu VX-2R.
The battery pack died and remained that way for probably a month or
two. Now all of my memory data is gone. Apparently this is volatile
memory.

I store this HT in the refrigerator with a battery installed. This is
where I store all of my batteries. Every six months or so I check the
charge level on all of the batteries.

Whatsmore, it seems that this HT pulls a small amount of current from
the 1 Ah Li-ion battery even when shut off. I say this because none of
my other Li-ion batteries in the refrigerator were anywhere near dead.
The VX-2R battery was dead as a doorknob, so I replaced it.

My queston is, what sort of internal battery maintains the VX-2R memory?
And how long will it last without the main battery? Might my internal
battery now be dead? If the internal battery is also Li-ion then it's
probably best to not store it in the refrigerator if there is a small load.

I'd hate to reprogram this thing only to lose all the data once again.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce AF8F
Old March 25th 05, 02:41 AM
John Franklin

Gee maybe being cold doesn't help the situation............. Don't let the
battery go dead, USE it once and a while. What did you do buy it to keep it
on ice??

om...

Old March 25th 05, 05:20 AM
nana

"Bruce W.1" wrote in message news:gJK0e.10668
My queston is, what sort of internal battery maintains the VX-2R memory?
And how long will it last without the main battery? Might my internal
battery now be dead? If the internal battery is also Li-ion then it's
probably best to not store it in the refrigerator if there is a small
load.

Bruce AF8F

It probably doesn't have an internal battery but more likely a 1F capacitor
or similar, so you will need to keep the batteries charged (for this you
must remove it from the fridge) or the memory cap may go flat in a week or
two. Once the battery pack is charged, it may also take a few days for the
memory cap to fully recharge too.

Couldn't you find a bigger room for your shack?

Nana

Old March 25th 05, 06:35 PM
Bruce W.1

nana wrote:

It probably doesn't have an internal battery but more likely a 1F capacitor
or similar, so you will need to keep the batteries charged (for this you
must remove it from the fridge) or the memory cap may go flat in a week or
two. Once the battery pack is charged, it may also take a few days for the
memory cap to fully recharge too.

Couldn't you find a bigger room for your shack?

Nana

You're probably right about the capacitor.

This radio has 1300 memories. Rather than go thru its conventional
programming process again I decided to make an interface cable to my PC
and program it with Commander softwa
http://www.kc8unj.com/index.html

Thanks.