Old April 9th 05, 01:52 AM
Butch

Default Great New DX-394 Mods & Website (DX-398/ATS-909/FRG-7 coming)

Never run into this problem before, I have a nicad charger that Ive used
for years and it charges AAA, AA, C, D, and 9 volt. Great little box.
Now I just received a pack of Ni-MH AA size and need to know if my nicad
charger will be ok to charge them? Will I do damage to the NiMHs?

Butch KF5DE

Tom Holden wrote:

"Tom Holden" wrote in message

5. DXing.com Modern Shortwave Receiver Survey
DX-394 is below the DX-302 on the same page. Rating was increased from 1H
to 3H about Jan 28/2004.
http://www.dxing.com/rx/dx302.htm

Correction: the rating was increased about Jan 28/2005, not 2004, correcting
an obvious mistake. This longstanding, unsubstantiated 1H rating on
DXing.com probably adversely affected the opinions of some uninformed
individuals.

Tom

Old April 9th 05, 03:39 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Butch wrote:

Never run into this problem before, I have a nicad charger that Ive used
for years and it charges AAA, AA, C, D, and 9 volt. Great little box.
Now I just received a pack of Ni-MH AA size and need to know if my nicad
charger will be ok to charge them? Will I do damage to the NiMHs?

As I understand it: NiMH batteries do "prefer" a somewhat different
charging regime than NiCd batteries - they're less tolerant of being
overcharged.

A NiCd "smart" charger will usually charge the batteries with a
constant current, and monitor the voltage across the battery. When
the batteries hit full charge, they begin to heat up, and the voltage
across them decreases somewhat. The charger will detect the voltage
drop (a "negative delta V") and shut off the charge. Fast chargers
usually include a temperature sensor, as well, and a failsafe timer.

NiMH batteries can be charged with a similar regime, but it's
apparently not a good idea to wait until the delta-V goes negative...
by that point the NiMH battery has heated up quite a bit, and that's
not good for its lifetime. A NiMH smart charger will cut off the
charge current when the voltage across the battery stops rising ("zero
delta V"), before the battery heats up very much.

NiCd batteries can be trickle-charged at a low rate, and I believe
I've read that this is not a good approach to use for NiMH batteries
(or, if you do it, the trickle current must be a good deal lower).

See if you can find the data sheet for the Maxim MAX712 and MAX713
charge controller chips - they have a lot of the details.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Great SSB Speakers Cheap Lucky Shortwave 6 March 31st 05 05:11 AM
ICOM 735 mods ab Homebrew 0 December 4th 04 02:17 PM
REPLY>>>any/all mods for the RCI 2950. Wes Golden General 1 July 15th 04 08:25 AM
An article for my personal website ? Thierry Antenna 0 January 28th 04 07:41 PM
website to obtain beam heading from my QTH? Lee Carkenord Dx 6 September 1st 03 02:27 PM