Old May 1st 05, 02:40 PM
Chris Anton

Default Yaesu FT-530 Dual Handhelds - voltage mystery

I've recently been fortunate to acquire two Yaesu FT-530 dual band handhelds
which are really lovely radios after losing (hopefully just misplaced) my
Kenwood. The challenge is that there is only one battery pack which takes 6
AA cells. Neither radio will power up connected to the pack. The pack puts
out a full 9 volts. Connect up 12 volts and both radios work fine. I've
cleaned contacts, jumpered the pack to a meter - 9 v, jumpered the pack to
the radio - no go, jumpered the radio to 12v - works fine. I know I can
order 12v packs but I'm perplexed why two units which according to spec will
take 5.5 - 16 volt seem to be so picky. Anyone have an explanation?

cheers
Chris
VE7TOP

Old May 1st 05, 03:29 PM
LAFAYETTE RADIO ELECTRONICS

Is it possible that the pack with the AA cells uses the third contact
from the pack somehow
so the radio knows it's not a nicad pack?

Old May 1st 05, 04:28 PM
JB

See if the external power jack is making connection. It may
need to be exercised. It has a switch to isolate the internal
battery which does charge 7.5v batteries when run from Cigar
socket. I have found the external plug at Radio Shack. Radio
will work with anything from 5.5-16v but likes 7.5v -12v. Also
the one battery pack may be faulty. You could have 9v no
load that goes away as soon as you try to power up.

The 3rd contact is for charging and the AA clamshell will not
charge as Alkalines will explode. Replacement NiCads and
NiMH are available. I have always used the 7.5 v batteries
though to keep the heat down and charge from external power.
The watt or two never seems to make much difference.

By the way there is an internal voltmeter on the radio.