Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st 05, 02:40 PM
Chris Anton

Default Yaesu FT-530 Dual Handhelds - voltage mystery

I've recently been fortunate to acquire two Yaesu FT-530 dual band handhelds
which are really lovely radios after losing (hopefully just misplaced) my
Kenwood. The challenge is that there is only one battery pack which takes 6
AA cells. Neither radio will power up connected to the pack. The pack puts
out a full 9 volts. Connect up 12 volts and both radios work fine. I've
cleaned contacts, jumpered the pack to a meter - 9 v, jumpered the pack to
the radio - no go, jumpered the radio to 12v - works fine. I know I can
order 12v packs but I'm perplexed why two units which according to spec will
take 5.5 - 16 volt seem to be so picky. Anyone have an explanation?

cheers
Chris
VE7TOP