Old May 2nd 05, 04:19 PM
Robert Kubichek

Default Heil Clear Speech Speaker

If I would use it, I would use an in line power filter, and also use
shielded cable, with an audio ground loop adapter.

Bob N9LVU

KG6EMF Richard Friedman wrote:
The manual recommends that you NOT use the same 12v power source
as the transceiver. How is that possible. You mean I have to buy another
switching power supply for my home rig and another battery for mobile?

What is your interpretation of this statement in the manual and how did
you connect it to a power source?

Charlie wrote:

See photos and download manual here....

1. http://www.ad5th.com/HEIL_CLEAR_SPEECH_SPEAKER.html

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net
www.deepsouthnet.net

Old May 4th 05, 05:38 PM
Charlie

I don't agree that Heil is taking any "hits" with the CSS. I also own an
AmCom Clear Speech Base Unit purchased about 3 years ago before Bob got into
the development. It also did not come with a power supply and AmCom also
strongly recommended that one use a separate power supply due to potential
feedback issues. It cost me an additional $20 for a ps and ferrites and my
CSS is feedback free even on HF with 1KW.

I used the Heil CSS last night with headphones plugged in while running a 2M
SSB net wow what a treat!

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

"Justín Käse" wrote in message
In posted on Tue, 3 May
2005 20:15:17 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Every Ham should already have a clean and neat cable system and effective
RF
and electrical ground. And while I'm on my soap box...Radio Shack has 2
different ac power adapters that can power the CSS..and they range from
$15 - $17. If you can afford $210 for a speaker but can't go the $15-$17
for
the power source let me know..I'll send ya one! Sheesh...

Sheesh indeed,
a company that recognizes the critical nature of selecting a sheilded
power supply, yet doesn't include one, even if it's less than eight
percent of the total cost, is just asking for their reputation to take a
hit.
--

JK

Old May 6th 05, 01:52 PM
Charlie

My Icom 746 Pro with 32 bit IF -based DSP also does a great job at noise
reduction. Even with that in place the Heil CSS
-further- removes noise in the audio..some which may have been induced past
the IF strip....

No antenna end noise reducer would catch that

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net
www.deepsouthnet.net

"Justín Käse" wrote in message
In posted on Wed, 4 May
2005 11:38:46 -0500, Charlie wrote:

I don't agree that Heil is taking any "hits" with the CSS. I also own an
AmCom Clear Speech Base Unit purchased about 3 years ago before Bob got
into
the development. It also did not come with a power supply and AmCom also
strongly recommended that one use a separate power supply due to potential
feedback issues. It cost me an additional $20 for a ps and ferrites and my
CSS is feedback free even on HF with 1KW.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I remember back when kits came with
everything needed and enough extras to accommodate a variety of
applications. If external power was required, suitable wall warts etc
were included, as well as pigtails to allow use of your existing station
power supply, and if RF shielding was required, the chokes would have
been in there too, usually in little plastic bags.
Since this device is basically a glorified tail end tone control, acting
on whatever gets all the way through the entire system, I'd prefer the
phased noise canceler someone else mentioned that zaps noise at the
antenna input. I checked and they are in about the same price range.
--

JK

Old May 6th 05, 02:21 PM
Harold E. Johnson

"Charlie" wrote in message
My Icom 746 Pro with 32 bit IF -based DSP also does a great job at noise
reduction. Even with that in place the Heil CSS
-further- removes noise in the audio..some which may have been induced

past
the IF strip....

No antenna end noise reducer would catch that

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net
www.deepsouthnet.net

If your SNR hasn't been well established long before the IF, you need a new
radio.

W4ZCB

Old May 6th 05, 06:03 PM
Harold E. Johnson

"Justín Käse" wrote in message
In posted on Fri, 6 May
2005 07:52:55 -0500, Charlie wrote:

My Icom 746 Pro with 32 bit IF -based DSP also does a great job at noise
reduction. Even with that in place the Heil CSS
-further- removes noise in the audio..some which may have been induced

past
the IF strip....

No antenna end noise reducer would catch that

If your SNR isn't solidly established a long way ahead of the IF strip, you
need a different radio.

W4ZCB

Old May 7th 05, 05:47 AM
Charlie

Thanks guys ..on your advice I sold the 746 Pro. Which radio do I buy now?
Thank you for straightening me out!!

LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!
LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!
LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!
LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!
LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!

BTW the additional noise reduction that the Heil CSS achieves is phenominal.
You guys can't muster $210? Hee hee...
--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old May 7th 05, 08:09 PM
Charlie

Guess I should have waited for the experts to chime in..after selling the
746Pro I drove to Atlanta last night so that this morning I could purchase
my new Icom 7800 and PW1 matching linear.

This is a great group and thank you for the great advice.

Should I still hold on to my Midland 23 channel?? Hey it's hooked up to a TV
sweep tube leenyar!!

--

Charlie

"Justín Käse" wrote in message
In posted on Fri, 6 May
2005 23:47:19 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Thanks guys ..on your advice I sold the 746 Pro. Which radio do I buy now?

You might want to try the IC-756PROIII, inside the front cover of the
latest HRO catalog. It sounds like a nice rig, and mates real well with
the IC-PW1 also shown at the bottom of that page, unless you've still
got some old CB class MFJ/Ameritron lying around the shack.

You guys can't muster $210? Hee hee...

Oh it's easy enough to muster up a couple Franklins, just that it hurts
the heart to think I might be ****ing it away on some audio trinket
that's worth maybe a tenth that.
--

JK

Old May 10th 05, 06:51 PM
Bob Miller

On Fri, 6 May 2005 08:14:45 +0300, "HAO'S" wrote:

go the $15-$17 for
the power source let me know..I'll send ya one!

what a rip off here in europe adapters go for 5-8euros!
is this a radio shack thing (scam?).

The gas station next to my Radio Shack is selling regular for
$2.01/gallon. What are you blokes paying?

he, he...

bob
k5qwg