Old May 27th 05, 07:21 AM
Mr Fed UP

Default Lil help for my Yaesu 757 GX II please

Does anyone have a hint on what might be binding up my Yaesu 757 GX II freq
dial.
It worked for a while from ebay purchase and then stiffened up and would not
turn to
change frequencies. The mic' buttons work ok to change frequencies, but
I am not familiar with the mechanics of the dial. I had taken the front
panel apart once
and saw no problems... put it back together and it worked ..... a while.
Any helps appreciated. email at my call arrr.net or post reply retired
and read lots of newy groups
Thanks 73 WB9SMX

Old May 27th 05, 07:26 AM
Mr Fed UP

"Mr Fed UP" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone have a hint on what might be binding up my Yaesu 757 GX II
freq dial.
It worked for a while from ebay purchase and then stiffened up and would
not turn to
change frequencies. The mic' buttons work ok to change frequencies, but
I am not familiar with the mechanics of the dial. I had taken the front
panel apart once
and saw no problems... put it back together and it worked ..... a while.
Any helps appreciated. email at my call arrr.net or post reply retired
and read lots of newy groups
Thanks 73 WB9SMX
OOPS ARRL.NET sry

Old May 27th 05, 09:09 AM
Odd Erling N. Eriksen

Mr Fed UP wrote:
Does anyone have a hint on what might be binding up my Yaesu 757 GX II freq
dial.

-No idea; but, you can find both the manual and the technical supplement
to it at the following URL:

http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ListManuals=yaesu

A qualified guess - on my club's Omni VI, you adjust thumbwheel friction
by rotating the dial itself while keeping the plastic ring surrounding it
stationary. This may over some time cause the dial to either spin very
loosely or not at all, depending on whether you prefer to tune up or down
the bands.

--
73 de LB1LF

Odd Erling, ARK

How do crazy people go through the forest? They take the psycho path.
Old May 27th 05, 01:08 PM

I use to own a ft757. I think you will find that the brass bushing has
frozen on the tuning shaft. You can take the tuning dial out (somewhat
difficult) and carefuly unfreeze(wd40 etc) then relub. Been there,
done that. Also Yaesu will sell you a new dial if you donot want to
"renew".
Charlie wa5kyv

Old May 29th 05, 04:53 PM
Mr Fed UP

Well I certainly want to thank you.
I nearly got all the screws back in it now, but turned it on and the dial
works now after relub.
Seems like they did build the radio around the dial hi hi.
When I got the face plate off, all the buttons fell out like a box of
chicklets.
The shaft was froze so tight it took a couple hours of wd40 and gun oil just
to get it
where I could beat the shaft out of the bushing. I would guess that Yaesu
would want a
bucket of money for a new optical dial encoder.
I am retired disability now and over the years not much has deterred me from
diving into
a good fix it up project. I think I even remember tubes and old teletypes.
;-)
It was a great help knowing it was possible to fix it before diving in.
Much
of the stuff
built now days are use and toss away with not much chance of repair,
Thanks again. Gary 73 WB9SMX

Old June 2nd 05, 05:26 PM
JBO

Mr Fed UP wrote:
Does anyone have a hint on what might be binding up my Yaesu 757 GX II freq
dial.
It worked for a while from ebay purchase and then stiffened up and would not
turn to
change frequencies. The mic' buttons work ok to change frequencies, but
I am not familiar with the mechanics of the dial. I had taken the front
panel apart once
and saw no problems... put it back together and it worked ..... a while.
Any helps appreciated. email at my call arrr.net or post reply retired
and read lots of newy groups
Thanks 73 WB9SMX

It's some sort of Optical Encoder. I had the same problem with my
FT-767. It just started acting up one day. When I would turn the VFO
the frequency would only go down not up. Then, it slowly started to lock
up and get harder and harder to turn. Then it totally locked up.
I couldn't even turn the VFO with "Vise-Grips"

I took it in to a local Ham Repair Shop.
The part was only $50 and 2 hours labor. It's a fault with many
Yaesu radios. It only happens to the radios owned by us who like
to "REALLY" spin the VFO every once in a while.

73 de Dave/N2JBO "Just Being Obnoxious"