Old September 18th 05, 02:06 AM
Bob Miller

Default CCRadio display showing broken numbers

I have a Sangean/C.Crane CCRadio, a few years old. The display screen
shows only bits and pieces of numbers and letters. Any known, easy fix
I could do?

I contacted the C.Crane company, and they want $49.95 just to have
their repair guy look at it, plus shipping both ways. Might as well
get a new one, as do that -- so, looking for a home fix.

Thanks,

Bob
k5qwg
Old September 18th 05, 03:58 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Bob Miller wrote:

I have a Sangean/C.Crane CCRadio, a few years old. The display screen
shows only bits and pieces of numbers and letters. Any known, easy fix
I could do?

I contacted the C.Crane company, and they want $49.95 just to have
their repair guy look at it, plus shipping both ways. Might as well
get a new one, as do that -- so, looking for a home fix.

Thanks,

Bob
k5qwg

Does it have a custom LCD display? Most of them use thin "Zebra"
strips which are alternating layers of conducting and non conducting
layers. They are used to make contact between the PC board and the
conductive areas that are printed on the back of the display. They dry
out and shrink, but you can usually remove them, clean them in pure IPA,
along with the contacts on the PC board and the display. I've done this
to a lot of DMMs and other test equipment with a very good success rate.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old September 19th 05, 02:39 AM
Bob Miller

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:58:06 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure whether it is a custom display -- it shows the frequency
readout plus various functions of the radio; I'm guessing the display
is made for this radio only. Anyhow, if I can get the case apart, I'll
look at what I can do to clean the LCD strips.

Thanks for the tip.

Bob
k5qwg