Old November 4th 05, 07:12 PM
Paul_Morphy

Default TS-450S Problems

Anyone encountered this: When placed into transmit mode by any means,
radio will not drop back into receive mode. Doesn't emit power unless
key is closed etc, but VOX does not disengage. The only way to get it
back to receive is to punch a front-panel button like PROC, RIT, etc.
Other problems that may or may not be related a no display on power
meter but unit produces 100 W; RIT doesn't function although light comes
on. F.LOCK is not on, the main tuning control changes the displayed
frequency. If I tune from 1501 kHz to 1500 kHz the receiver seems to
fail. Retuning to a frequency above 1500 kHz does not return reception;
I have to punch one of the above-mentioned buttons to get it back. There
are no optional filters or other accessories installed. When I can get
it into receive mode there is plenty of noise to indicate the receiver
is working, but doing anything to activate the VOX kills the receive.
VOX DELAY, ANTIVOX and VOX GAIN at full CCW, problem occurs with or
without headphones plugged in, and whether I key it with the XMT/RCV
button or via a key, or the PTT button on a mic.

This was an eBay purchase, supposedly working 100%. Nothing rattling, it
was double-boxed and the outer box doesn't show signs of rough handling.
It's probably going back to the seller but if anyone has a simple
suggestion I'd appreciate it. After the problem is resolved somehow I
will discuss the name of the dealer from whom I bought the radio.

73, Jim, KR 1S
Old November 5th 05, 05:41 AM
Charlie

My TS450 had a similar symptom and Kenwood replaced an IF transistor to fix
it. This was about 10 years ago so I cannot recall which transistor was
changed.

--

Charlie

Old November 5th 05, 06:22 PM
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
Paul_Morphy wrote:

Anyone encountered this: When placed into transmit mode by any means,
radio will not drop back into receive mode. Doesn't emit power unless
key is closed etc, but VOX does not disengage.

Jim-

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for your symptoms. Try resetting the
CPU. Per 4-12-2 on page 54 of the owner's manual, you hold down the A=B
key when turning on the power, and everything including memory is reset to
factory defaults. Holding down the A/B key instead will save your channel
memory contents.

Have you gone through the troubleshooting guide in the owner's manual?
You should be able to determine whether or not your troubles are just a
combination of mis-adjustments.

If you need manuals, go to http://www.mods.dk. Click on Kenwood on the
left side of the screen. When that comes up, click on Manuals at the top
of the right-hand list. Scroll down quite a ways for TS 450 690.

73, Fred, K4DII
Old November 8th 05, 09:54 PM
MICHAELF

Hello Paul.
I suggest that you verify the condition of the "Back-up
Battery", which is located within the front panel/face plate of the
radio.

I suspect that if the battery leaks onto the surrounding circuit areas,
a huge amount
of proverbial "hate & discontent" could take place with regards to
proper operation of the "450S" radio.

One internet page I DO know of which presents satisfactory images &
instructions for inspecting & removal/replacement of the back-up
battery is located at the following URL:

http://www.geocities.com/lfnca/450ba...at_battery.htm

Additionally, there are several Yahoo Groups available which offer
multitudes of solutions issues related to Kenwood Amateur Radio
products. One related directly to the "450" {in addition to the "850" &
"690"} can be found at:

You'll find many fine people within the "850/450/690" group who would
probably come through with some additional suggestions/solutions.

Good luck, 73

Mike

Semper Fi / CV-41 / VMCJ-1

OT - TELEPHONE PROBLEMS Keith Hosman KC8TCQ CB 0 June 30th 04 11:36 PM
Sangean Problems? DeWayne Shortwave 11 March 10th 04 10:36 PM
Yaesu FT-100 PTT Problems. Ron Equipment 2 January 9th 04 06:40 AM
Yaesu FT-100 PTT Problems. Ron Equipment 0 January 5th 04 06:26 PM