Old March 9th 04, 06:29 AM
DeWayne

Default Sangean Problems?

Sangean's top of the line ATS-909/DX-398 is well known to have had problems
with lock-ups. My question is, is Sangean still shipping brand new 909's
with these same problems that have been known about for years? The 909 is
not a 'cheap' radio. They sell for well over $200. I would be very
interested to know if anyone has purchased a recent brand new 909 with any
of the well known problems they have had for several years. If Sangean is
selling new defective radios, I would have to ask do most manufacturers do
this? We have been discussing this topic in the DX-398 Yahoo group. One
person is having a real problem with his DX-398. He has not been getting
much help, even from Sangean. He has tried most of the common 'fixes' but
without remedy. These are very popular radios and I hope someone has some
info to help us out. And I would really like to know what, if anything,
Sangean has done to help us. Or is Sangean still selling defective 909's?
Thanks!

DeWayne

Old March 9th 04, 12:48 PM
Stinger

"DeWayne" wrote in message
[...]

DeWayne, I've been reading that as well. That guy has a broken radio, and
doesn't seem to want to face the fact. But instead, wants some sort of
"magic" fix because the light comes on, but there isn't any sound, etc. The
sooner he sends his radio off, the sooner he'll get it back.

First thing, the "lock-ups" are not "common." I've had a 909 for some time
now, and have never had any problem at all (through a LOT of use). However,
if one does occur, Sangean thoughtfully put a "reset" switch onboard to fix
it. It works, but may reset your memories to European standard stations.
If that doesn't work, you don't have a lock-up -- plain and simple.

Another problem can occur if the radio is stored for an extended time with
low batteries, but that is easily fixed by taking out the batteries and
letting the radio sit for a day (so internal components discharge -- there
is a "power-user" way to do this, but it's beyond the reach of most users --
just let it sit). This isn't a lock-up -- the symptom of this is when the
radio doesn't turn on at all.

Anyway, the Sangean 909 is a great portable radio, with a tried-and-true
design, and Sangean has a very good reputation for making quality radios.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that you can idiot-proof anything, but
nature will create a better idiot.

-- Stinger

Old March 9th 04, 01:54 PM
DeWayne

"Stinger" wrote in message
. ..

"DeWayne" wrote in message
[...]

If I remember correctly he has been looking for a place to send his DX-398
but hasn't found any.

[...]

Why would you call the guy an idiot because he's trying to get his radio
fixed? He was basically told that it probably wasn't worth fixing.

DeWayne

-- Stinger

Old March 9th 04, 02:08 PM
Richard Cranium

"DeWayne" wrote in message ...
[...]

I would suggest that he take his DX398 problems to Radio Shack, not
Sangean. RatCrap might be more responsive since it was their product.
Sangean would have no responsibility.

BTW, my DX398 has never "locked up".
Old March 9th 04, 02:32 PM
Stinger

"DeWayne" wrote in message

If I remember correctly he has been looking for a place to send his DX-398
but hasn't found any.

Then you don't remember correctly.

The very first post in the Yahoo thread suggested that he call RadioLabs (a
very good repair facility in California) and talk with them about it. He
replied that he did phone them, and I'm sure they suggested that he try the
two procedures we discussed earlier in this post first, and if they didn't
work -- to send it in. After all, they ARE a repair facility! They fix
them at very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that you can idiot-proof anything, but
nature will create a better idiot.

Why would you call the guy an idiot because he's trying to get his radio
fixed? He was basically told that it probably wasn't worth fixing.

Actually, that point argued to the whole situation. He was basically told
that HE CAN'T FIX IT HIMSELF -- the "consumer" fixes have been tried, and
it's apparently a more serious problem with his radio. In addition to the
RadioLabs Repair advice, RHF posted and pointed out that Radio Shack repair
RMA instructions could be found in his DX398 manual. Exactly how many times
does he need to hear this?

I've watched you guys working yourselves into this hysteria, insinuating
that Sangean (who has a deservedly good reputation for their radio quality)
is knowingly shipping flawed radios, basically because this guy's radio went
on the fritz, and you can't find a button to push to fix it.

No offense intended, but that's just dumb.

-- Stinger

Old March 9th 04, 02:43 PM
SYSYPHUS' SISTER

Richard Cranium wrote:
I would suggest that he take his DX398 problems to Radio Shack, not
Sangean. RatCrap might be more responsive since it was their product.
Sangean would have no responsibility.

BTW, my DX398 has never "locked up".

Mine hasnt either--both w or wo batteries (wall wart power)

I am,
SYSYPHUS' SISTER
Old March 9th 04, 02:58 PM
Dxluver

If I remember correctly he has been looking for a place to send his DX-398
but hasn't found any.

He was basically told that it probably wasn't worth fixing.

He was told wrong them. Of course it's worth fixing, that a 'stupid' thing to
tell the guy. Send it to Radio Labs, problem solved.:-)
Old March 9th 04, 06:11 PM
tommyknocker

Stinger wrote:

"DeWayne" wrote in message

[...]

IMHO, I wouldn't bother to fix a radio that cost $200 new. Even if
RadioLabs has good prices (I don't know, I've never dealt with them) the
cost of fixing the radio would still be close to what it would cost to
buy a new one. If I'd gotten a few years good use out of it and it went
on the fritz I'd just junk it and get a Degen. OTOH, I've sent my Yaesu
to the Southern California Yaesu repair center twice, but only because
it's a very good radio despite the problems (a broken freq/clock switch
that happened when it was shipped to me from the guy who sold it to me,
and a bad resistor that I was told was a common problem with this radio)
and it cost a lot not only new but used-I traded a 2010 for it that I
purchased for $200 that came with its original box and accessories, a
radio that would probably go for twice that on ebay today (it was Made
in Japan). Also, every factory produces "lemons", they're simply a cost
of doing business. If this guy bought a bad Sangean, that doesn't mean
all Sangeans are bad, just that this guy bought a lemon.

Old March 10th 04, 01:24 AM
elg110254

Have a DX-440 & a DX-398! Both are still going strong! And that 398 has
absorbed thousands of miles worth of bumps-n-bruises along the American River
Bike Trail !!!
Old March 10th 04, 02:42 AM
tommyknocker

elg110254 wrote:

Have a DX-440 & a DX-398! Both are still going strong! And that 398 has
absorbed thousands of miles worth of bumps-n-bruises along the American River
Bike Trail !!!

Hey, I'm just north of you! Look at my posting "Early morning 49m logs"
just posted today. Too bad they'll be abandoning the parkway because of
budget cuts. The trail is about to get a lot bumpier, and dangerous,
although your average drug addicted thug wouldn't know what to do with a
shortwave radio.

"What's that, Pedro?"
"Uh, it says "ess dubya radio".
"What's it do?"
"I dunno. It gets lots of weird stuff, like people talking in Chinese."
"Does it get The Bomb?"
"Uh, not that I know of."
"Then it's useless. Toss it."
"But does that mean you won't give me any meth for it?"
"Get a Discman, hombre, then we'll talk."

(The Bomb is our local FM rap music station)

Anyway, the guy who got the bad 398 just got unlucky. I used to have a
DX440 and AFAIK it's still working well in its new home with a family of
Ukranian immigrants who use it to get news from their homeland.