Old November 4th 05, 11:31 PM
west

Default Is this R-7000 Freq Blocked?

Help, I need to find out how you can tell if an Icom R-7000 is frequency
(c-phone) blocked. Also, do all R-7000 cover the SHF band, ~1000MHz -
20,000MHz? IOW: are all R-7000 the same? Thank you.

west
AF4GC

Old November 5th 05, 02:19 AM
Ed

Help, I need to find out how you can tell if an Icom R-7000 is frequency
(c-phone) blocked. Also, do all R-7000 cover the SHF band, ~1000MHz -
20,000MHz? IOW: are all R-7000 the same? Thank you.

They do make a "Government, special agency" model for those who need it,
but one must provide proof of legal requirement to purchase it.

Ed K7AAT
Old November 5th 05, 05:56 PM
Me

In article ,
"west" wrote:

Help, I need to find out how you can tell if an Icom R-7000 is frequency
(c-phone) blocked. Also, do all R-7000 cover the SHF band, ~1000MHz -
20,000MHz? IOW: are all R-7000 the same? Thank you.

west
AF4GC

Not all 7000's are created equal. All of the early models were totally
open, and topped out at 2Ghz. Later versions were blocked in specific
800-900 Mhz ranges, due to US Regulations, and this was done via
Firmware PROM Code changes, so they couldn't be opened easily.

Me who has an early version......
Old November 5th 05, 06:16 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Me wrote:
Not all 7000's are created equal. All of the early models were totally
open, and topped out at 2Ghz. Later versions were blocked in specific
800-900 Mhz ranges, due to US Regulations, and this was done via
Firmware PROM Code changes, so they couldn't be opened easily.

That was the R-7100. The R-7000 was discontinued long before the
date that the cellular bands had to be blocked.

There were various versions of the R-7000 for different markets that
may have had frequencies blocked. The U.S. versions did not.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
You should have boycotted Google while you could, now Google supported
BPL is in action. Time is running out on worldwide radio communication.
Old November 6th 05, 08:09 PM
Ken Taylor

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article , Me wrote:
Not all 7000's are created equal. All of the early models were totally
open, and topped out at 2Ghz. Later versions were blocked in specific
800-900 Mhz ranges, due to US Regulations, and this was done via
Firmware PROM Code changes, so they couldn't be opened easily.

That was the R-7100. The R-7000 was discontinued long before the
date that the cellular bands had to be blocked.

There were various versions of the R-7000 for different markets that
may have had frequencies blocked. The U.S. versions did not.

Geoff.

My 7000 and my 7100 receive this band, but I'm outside USA so there may be
some versionitis going on. That all said, unless US still sues analog cell
phone it's not much use. The top frequency was 2GHz, not 20GHz (if the OP
actually meant 20).

Cheers.

Ken