Old November 12th 05, 01:01 PM
Froggythefrog

Default Narrow Filters - Ringing ?

Just a quick question.

When on CW mode using narrow filters, 500/250 I get this ringing all the
time, I'm guessing this is caused by the background noise on the bands
coming in via the narrow filters.

I operate mainly on 160/80/40/30m CW thus I am wondering if it is
possible to do something to the rig to get rid of the ringing effect ?

The rig I use for CW is a Tentec Omni VI with the roofing filter
modifications.

I also have an FT1000MP which suffers exactly the same problem, however
I don't like using it on CW as it has terrible key click problems, as
per all the Yaesu range of radios.

So, is this problem cureable or is there a radio on the market now that
doesn't suffer from this problem ?

Thanks for any help.

Old November 12th 05, 04:18 PM
Dale Parfitt

"Froggythefrog" wrote in message
Just a quick question.

When on CW mode using narrow filters, 500/250 I get this ringing all the
time, I'm guessing this is caused by the background noise on the bands
coming in via the narrow filters.

I operate mainly on 160/80/40/30m CW thus I am wondering if it is possible
to do something to the rig to get rid of the ringing effect ?

The rig I use for CW is a Tentec Omni VI with the roofing filter
modifications.

I also have an FT1000MP which suffers exactly the same problem, however I
don't like using it on CW as it has terrible key click problems, as per
all the Yaesu range of radios.

So, is this problem cureable or is there a radio on the market now that
doesn't suffer from this problem ?

Thanks for any help.

I recently had the opportunity to hear both a 250Hz (from memory) stock
FT-1000 filter and a homebrew same bandwidth filter whose group delay
response had been optimized- the difference was very obvious. I am not aware
of any amateur filter manufacturers that at least claim to be paying
attention to this parameter. See W7ZOI's text Experimental Methods in RF
Design for a treatment.

Dale W4OP

Old November 13th 05, 03:17 PM
Froggythefrog

Dale Parfitt wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale,

Thanks for this, I'll search the internet for the text.

Cheers !