Old March 20th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Uniden SMU 300K (How to operate?)

Hello

I went to a local auction where a hardware store and small engine
repair business went out of business. I came home with boxes of small
odds and ends. One box had what I thought was a CB radio, but it
turned out to be a Uniden SMU 300K commercial radio. I have been
googling around trying to find out some info on it, but out of about
40 hits on google, with well over half of them being outdated Ebay
ads, (I sure wish Google would remove outdated junk), I only found one
site with a small photo of one, and no further info.

This is the same radio, as the photo I found.

Anyhow, I am not very familiar with commercial radios. I do know
quite a lot about CB though, so I know this is similar except the
frequency.

What I am trying to find out are a few things. What is these radios
used for? I mean what is the band they use, like is is police, fire,
business only, or what? Several of those obsolete Ebay ads said in
the description they are a UHF 450-470 MHz Mobile Radio (another said
440 - 470mhz.

My next question is legality. Can I legally transmit, or do I need
some sort of license? If I do need one, can I test it without a
license just for a few minutes?
(I am a farmer, live out in the boonies, so there is not much radio
activity around here). I have a police scanner so I should be able to
hear myself. But before I do all of that, I will need the right
antenna. I got several CB antennas but I know that is way off on the
wavelength. I imagine for listening, I can use one just to try it,
but not to transmit.

I am just asking all of this first. I have not powered it up yet, and
for all I know, it could be dead, although it is clean and complete.
I dont want to blow it up so i am asking about it first. I also dont
want to buy an antenna or get a license or anything until I know it
works.

One other thing. I dont see any holes for a speaker. Does the sound
come out of the mic, or what? On the rear there are only the red and
black power wires, the antenna connector, and a square plug with a
jumper wire.

All help appreciated.

Thanks

George

Old March 20th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

YES you will need a license before you can transmit, NO a CB antenna won't
work, YES you will need to know what frequency and cut the antenna to the
correct resonant length, YES it will most likley have to be modified to
operate in the ham bands once you are licensed to do so, NO I can't tell you
any more without actually *seeing* the radio, or the book for it.

Old March 20th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:38:46 -0600, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

YES you will need a license before you can transmit, NO a CB antenna won't
work, YES you will need to know what frequency and cut the antenna to the
correct resonant length, YES it will most likley have to be modified to
operate in the ham bands once you are licensed to do so, NO I can't tell you
any more without actually *seeing* the radio, or the book for it.

Thanks for the reply.
three questions come from this.
1. Where or how does a person get a license?
2. What do I look for to get an antenna, is this something I can get a
Radio Shack, or what?
3. I know I can test the radio to see if it receives, but how can I
test to see if it transmits? (without getting a license first)?
[I mean, is there a place that will do this, or can I have another
person who has a license do it, or what? I noticed there is a local
business that uses this frequency range, can I have someone there test
it for me?

Thanks

.. .

Old March 20th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

wrote:

YES you will need a license before you can transmit, NO a CB antenna won't
work, YES you will need to know what frequency and cut the antenna to the
correct resonant length, YES it will most likley have to be modified to
operate in the ham bands once you are licensed to do so, NO I can't tell
you
any more without actually *seeing* the radio, or the book for it.

Thanks for the reply.
three questions come from this.
1. Where or how does a person get a license?

Check with your local HAM Radio Club, or your local FCC office.

2. What do I look for to get an antenna, is this something I can get a
Radio Shack, or what?

Look for the radios frequency capabilities, then build and cut the antenna
for those frequencies. Its real simple math.

3. I know I can test the radio to see if it receives, but how can I
test to see if it transmits? (without getting a license first)?

You can't

[I mean, is there a place that will do this, or can I have another
person who has a license do it, or what?

yes

I noticed there is a local
business that uses this frequency range, can I have someone there test
it for me?

Not unless they are a licensed technician.

Thanks

. ..

Old March 21st 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Me

In article ,
"Noon-Air" wrote:

I noticed there is a local
business that uses this frequency range, can I have someone there test
it for me?

Not unless they are a licensed technician.

Bzzzt, Wrong, would you like to try again for what is behind Door #3...

In the USofA, there hasn't been a requirement for Licensed Techs, for
at least 10 years, in Part 90 radio systems. The only Licensed Tech
requirments left in the USofA is for Part 80 (Marine) and Part 87
(Aircraft) Radio systems, and this is due to International Agreements
that the USofA is signitory.

Me

UNIDEN DEBUTS APCO 25 CAPABLE DIGITAL SCANNER Omega Equipment 5 February 11th 05 11:15 PM
UNIDEN DEBUTS APCO 25 CAPABLE DIGITAL SCANNER Omega Scanner 6 February 11th 05 11:15 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Uniden BC-895XLT, software, cables, many accessories, MUST SELL Jason Antman Swap 3 October 8th 03 08:46 PM