Old April 11th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
WA2OLZ

Default Smallest 2M/440 mobile rig??

Looking for advice to find the smallest dual-band mobile rig with
remote head capabiltiy. The size of the transceiver is unimportant; the
size of the remote head is what it's all about.

I traded my SUV for a VW Passat and there's not a lot of room to mount
anything! I've already swapped out the standard 2X-DIN radio for a
single DIN and installed a scanner in the other half of the 2X-DIN
space, so that's gone. I have my GPS and Blackberry holder mounted on
ProClip mounts, so I'm really getting tight.

I'd really like to find the smallest possible remote head mobile rig as
I'm not fond of HTs in a mobile environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tnx & 73,
Jack - WA2OLZ

Old April 11th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed

I can't certify that its the smallest, but the Kenwood TM-G707A has a
pretty darned small control head.... and is fairly inexpensive for a dual
band rig, to boot. I like it so much I now have three of them.

Ed K7AAT

Old April 11th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Travis Jordan

Ed wrote:
I can't certify that its the smallest, but the Kenwood TM-G707A has
a pretty darned small control head.... and is fairly inexpensive for
a dual band rig, to boot. I like it so much I now have three of them.

Ed K7AAT

I concur. 5 1/2 x 1 9/16 is the approximate W x H of the control head.

Old April 11th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Noon-Air

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
I can't certify that its the smallest, but the Kenwood TM-G707A has
a pretty darned small control head.... and is fairly inexpensive for
a dual band rig, to boot. I like it so much I now have three of them.

Ed K7AAT

I concur. 5 1/2 x 1 9/16 is the approximate W x H of the control head.

The Yeasu FT-7800R is pretty small too, and also pretty inexpensive.

Old April 11th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed

The Yeasu FT-7800R is pretty small too, and also pretty inexpensive.

The original poster was looking for the smallest control head. Near as
I can tell from the specs, the TM-G707A's head is considerably smaller
than the FT-7800R's.

Ed K7AAT

Old April 11th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Travis Jordan

Noon-Air wrote:
The Yeasu FT-7800R is pretty small too, and also pretty inexpensive.

It's a quad bander, but indeed the control head size is almost identical
to the TM-G707A.

Old April 11th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Noon-Air wrote:
The Yeasu FT-7800R is pretty small too, and also pretty inexpensive.

It's a quad bander, but indeed the control head size is almost
identical to the TM-G707A.

Oops - sorry, I thought you said FT-8900R... my error.

In any case, the FT-7800R's control head is also about the same size (5
1/2 x 1 9/16).

Old April 11th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed

Oops - sorry, I thought you said FT-8900R... my error.

In any case, the FT-7800R's control head is also about the same size (5
1/2 x 1 9/16).

While a bit taller, the TM-G707A control head is only 4.0" wide.

Ed
Old April 11th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Travis Jordan

Ed wrote:
While a bit taller, the TM-G707A control head is only 4.0" wide.

I stand corrected, Ed....thanks.

Old April 11th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:vwU_f.545812$Mh4.395309
@fe02.news.easynews.com:

Ed wrote:
While a bit taller, the TM-G707A control head is only 4.0" wide.

I stand corrected, Ed....thanks.

Unlike most of the remote head radios, the TM-G707 control head fits
into a "cavity" in the front planel of the main radio body, so its width
is considerably smaller than the main body. Reason I bought it go begin
with was the same reason as the original poster... I had a very tight
car (BMW 3 series) and I wanted minimum impact physically in a rather
tight console area.... I managed to make a custome bracket and did a
beautiful no-holes installation I was really proud of.

Currently, that same radio control head is now mounted inside the ash
tray cavity of my wife's new Toyota Highlander.

Ed

Ed