Old March 1st 05, 06:40 PM
C. J. Clegg

Default Looking for the best 2M/440 mobile antenna

Looking for the very best 2M/440 dual-band mobile antenna made.
Looking primarily for the highest gain on both bands. Mounting and
size (length) are not important, i.e. can be anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Old March 1st 05, 07:15 PM
Cecil Moore

C. J. Clegg wrote:
Looking for the very best 2M/440 dual-band mobile antenna made.
Looking primarily for the highest gain on both bands. Mounting and
size (length) are not important, i.e. can be anything. Any suggestions?

My old Comet 2x4max is hard to beat.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old March 1st 05, 07:20 PM
Dave Platt

Looking for the very best 2M/440 dual-band mobile antenna made.
Looking primarily for the highest gain on both bands. Mounting and
size (length) are not important, i.e. can be anything. Any suggestions?

My old Comet 2x4max is hard to beat.

Or possibly a Cushcraft A27010S?

G,D,RLH

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 1st 05, 07:40 PM
Bob Bob

Realising its not what you are after..

- You live in very flat country? Be careful of high gain if you have hills.

- Dont use directive antennas on the mobile (eg a quad/yagi) as most
comms on VHF/UHF happen by reflection once you are beyond LOS and in clutter

- Height above ground clutter is VERY important. Whatever you end up
purchasing see if you can put it on a very high mount. (Even to the
point of mounting a 6ft poll on the vehicle and the antenna on top of
that - you did say length wasnt important!)

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old March 1st 05, 10:54 PM
Bob Miller

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:40:45 -0500, C. J. Clegg
wrote:

Looking for the very best 2M/440 dual-band mobile antenna made.
Looking primarily for the highest gain on both bands. Mounting and
size (length) are not important, i.e. can be anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

the best antenna is a dual-bander mounted in a hole drilled in the
middle of your vehicle's roof...

bob
k5qwg

Old March 2nd 05, 01:06 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
C. J. Clegg wrote:

Or possibly a Cushcraft A27010S?

Hmmm ... that's a beam, right?

Right. 5 elements on 2 meters, 5 on 440.

Probably not easy to use mobile (portable, maybe).

True... but the original posting made a point of asking for maximum
gain, and said that type and mounting weren't important. Nothing was
said about "omnidirectional" one way or the other. (##grin##)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old March 2nd 05, 01:10 AM
C. J. Clegg

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 06:40:53 +1100, Bob Bob
wrote:

- You live in very flat country?

Not particularly flat ... (MA)

- Dont use directive antennas on the mobile (eg a quad/yagi) as most
comms on VHF/UHF happen by reflection once you are beyond LOS and in clutter

Right, I should bave been more clear, I'm looking for an
omnidirectional vertical.

I once had a Hustler 2-meter collinear, something like 5 db gain
omnidirectional, and five feet tall or thereabouts, with a 3/8x24
mount. Never had a better 2 meter mobile antenna before or since.
But, it only comes in a monoband version, and only 2 meters and 220.
If I could find something dual-band for 2 and 440 that's as good as
that one was, I'd be happy.

CJ

Old March 2nd 05, 01:26 AM
Tom Ring

Dave Platt wrote:

Looking for the very best 2M/440 dual-band mobile antenna made.
Looking primarily for the highest gain on both bands. Mounting and
size (length) are not important, i.e. can be anything. Any suggestions?

My old Comet 2x4max is hard to beat.

Or possibly a Cushcraft A27010S?

G,D,RLH

I wouldn't by any Cushcraft antennas produced since Joe left. They
don't have the same reasons behind their designs anymore. Like quality.

tom
K0TAR

Old March 2nd 05, 02:19 AM
Dan Richardson

wrote:

Looking for the very best 2M/440 dual-band mobile antenna made.
Looking primarily for the highest gain on both bands. Mounting and
size (length) are not important, i.e. can be anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks..

If antennas are physically about the same size you are not going to
see a dime's worth of difference between them.

If you happen to look at your S-meter when driving you will note it is
not unusual to see signals varying more that 20 dB as you are diving.
Believe me you will never notice a 1-2 dB difference.

Danny, K6MHE